10 DIY Projects with Pumpkins
What would fall be without the pumpkin? For one thing, it's an integral part of the epic meal that is Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving wouldn't be right without pumpkin pie. Pumpkins also happen to be a part of one of my favourite holidays: Halloween! Plus, would Halloween even have the same effect if Jack O' Lanterns didn't exist? Because the pumpkin is such a huge part of the flavour and feeling of fall, I thought it was only appropriate to round up some creative ways that you can use pumpkins this season!
1. Pumpkin Candle Holders: Cut a hole and hollow out a space in a mini pumpkin, then use tapered candles or tea lights for cute mantle piece or centre piece decorations.
2. and 3. Repurpose Christmas Lights: Use twinkle lights in your pumpkin to create this elegant pretty look.
4. Vases: Cut the top off a pumpkin, dig out seeds and place a glass vase inside. Add some seasonal flowers and you have a beautiful display for a party or the home. Also try painting the outside of your pumpkin. This craft can be done with plastic or foam pumpkins if you can get your hands on them. Check out the tutorial here.
Tip: Use a serrated knife to cut the top hole off, a large metal spoon or an ice cream scoop to dig out the pulp and a small paring knife for carving designs.
1. Pumpkin Cooler: Cut a larger hole than you normally would for carving and dig out the inside of the pumpkin. Line the pumpkin with a plastic bag, fill with ice and it becomes a festive and attractive cooler.
2. Pumpkin Cream Puffs: We actually made these last year around this time. As someone who taste tested them, I can tell you they are just perfect right out of the oven with a hot beverage.
3. and 4. Pumpkin Crafts for Kids: Use a pumpkin in your next crafting sesh with the little ones. We tried out the cute vampire pumpkins last Halloween (also check out this version here). A glitter pumpkin, while a bit messy, is easy and can be done with almost any age group. Check out this list of more no-carve, kid-friendly pumpkin options.
Tip: Prevent mold and dehydration in your pumpkin by coating the carved areas and interior of the pumpkin in petroleum jelly.
1. Pumpkin Spice Latte: Everyone's fave coffee shop beverage available in the comfort of your own home!
2. Place Cards: A nifty idea for your next party. Cut a small horizontal slice in the root part of the pumpkin and place your name cards in between.
3. Pumpkin Fro Yo: It takes only 4 ingredients to make this homemade pumpkin frozen yogurt plus you can use Greek yogurt to pack it with protein.
4. Pumpkin Whoopie Pies: A moist cake filled with a decadent cream filling? What could be better?
Tip: Add a small amount of bleach to a spray bottle of water. Spray the pumpkin daily to prevent molding and drying out.
(tips via hgtv.com, additional images via gingibersnap.com)
More by Alexandra C.
More on Recipes, Entertaining, DIY
I know October is over, but I really want Pumpkin Fro Yo!
great ideas as usual
The pumpkin frozen yogurt looks delicious and it sounds really easy to make! i am definitely going to try making it. Thanks for posting it!
Great article! I almost laugh so hard at the vampire pumpkin, I will have to do this one year along with a glitter pumpkin!!!!
haha such cute ideas!! Only thing I ever usually end up doing is messing up the carving and roasting the insides...those teeth pumpkins are cute
Great ideas!That pumpkin frozen yogurt does look really good!
Love the first #4, the crafts.... those pumpkins with teeth are awesome!
That pumpkin frozen yogurt looks/sounds delicious!
Nice idea's Alex.
Join Our Newsletter
Best of Beauty (65)
Blogs We Love (61)
Career & Finance (65)
ChickAdvisor Events (103)
ChickAdvisor Newsletters (17)
ChickChat TV (8)
Eating Out (73)
Eyes, Lips, Face (470)
Fan Mail (14)
Gadgets, Media (37)
Gift Guide (69)
Hands & Feet (96)
Makeup Tutorials (52)
New Features (27)
News & Issues (119)
Parties & People (80)
Posing Wall (120)
Product Review Club (74)
Runway Fashion (194)
Shop ChickAdvisor (6)
Skin Care (156)
Street Style (44)
Style Guide (352)
Videos We Love (58)
Weekly Roundup (79)
Would You Wear This? (51)
Articles ArchiveBrowse articles by date
Anonymous has started a new forum topic I thought he was the one for me