2013 Beauty Looks To Try Part Two: 6 Makeup and Skincare Trends
#1 BB and CC Creams
BB (Beauty Balm) creams were one of the major beauty products of 2012 and the buzz about CC creams came later on, causing a major ruckus in the industry. In 2013, BB creams will continue their reign but CC (Colour Correction) creams are poised to become the next big thing. With heavier coverage and a focus on evening the colour in your skintone, it's easy to see why. This year, also look for new BB and CC product additions like concealers and powders.
1. Stila Stay All Day 10-In-One HD Illuminating Beauty Balm With SPF 30 (C$38.00)
2. CoverGirl CGSmoothers BB Cream (C$10.99)
3. Annabelle CC Colour Control Pressed Powder (C$16.95)
4. Olay Total Effects 7 CC Tone Correcting Moisturizer (US$21.50)
5. Chanel CC Cream Correction Complete SPF30PA+++ (US$79.99)
6. Annabelle CC Colour Control Luminous Finish Instant Perfecting Base (C$16.95)
7. Urban Decay Naked Skin Beauty Balm Broad Spectrum SPF 20 (C$32.00)
8. Marcelle BB Roll-On Concealer (C$20.95)
#2 DIY Manicures
DIY nail art isn't anything new (we've seen everything from feathers to caviar), but this year we're seeing even more at home options for manicures. With kits and ready to go mani-in-a-bottle polishes, manis you used to only get in the salon are now accessible to everyone.
1. China Glaze Bitz and Pieces Spring 2013 Collection (image via temptalia.com)
2. Ciate Very Colourfoil Manicure (C$19.00)
3. O.P.I. Mariah Carey Collection Liquid Sand Nail Lacquer (US$5.48)
4. Nails Inc Bling It On Kit in Rebel (C$30.00)
5. Sally Hansen InstaGel Strips (US$13.99)
6. Sally Hansen Gel Polish Starter Kit (US$64.99)
#3 Anti-Aging: Focus on Brightening
Dark spots have have always been an issue when aging. But (and excuse the pun), they have only recently really come into the light. This year, the fight against aging will focus on brightening and creating a more even skin tone. The goal is to look fresh and supple with the skin looking illuminated. There's definitely a move towards specific and new anti-aging ingredients, too. Look for retinols, vitamin C, glycolic acid and metals (copper and gold) in 2013.
1. Glamglow Super-Mud Clearing Treatment (C$69.00)
2. Peter Thomas Roth Camu Camu Power C x 30 Vitamin C Brightening Serum (C$105.00)
3. Philosophy Box Of Miracles Miraculous Anti-Aging Skin Care Discovery Set (C$48.00)
4. Marcelle Revival Gold Beauty Elixir Day Illuminator (C$45.95)
5. Kiehl's Powerful Wrinkle Reducing Cream (C$56.00)
6. Vichy ProEven Brightening Cleansing Foam (C$19.95)
#4 The Matte Fuchsia Lip
Fuchsia is the new red! Ditch a bold and heavy red lip in exchange for a brighter and chicer pink hue. The look is still attention grabbing but far more modern. Keeping with the theme of a new take on red, this year's lip is matte, never glossy.
1. Sephora Collection Rouge Cream Lipstick (C$16.00)
2. Nyx Matte Lipstick (C$9.00)
3. Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil (C$30.00)
4. Nars Pure Matte Lipstick (C$30.00)
5. Dolce and Gabana Monica Voluptuous Lipstick (C$32.00)
6. Joe Fresh Shine Lipstick (C$6.00)
#5 Velvet Skin
Minimalism is in full force with simple, flawless skin. Instead of a dewy complexion, look for mattifying products to keep shine free. You want to look glowing, but not shiny. Keep the rest of your face natural with little eye makeup and thicker, less groomed brows. Use blush sparingly, for a light rosy tint.
1. Tarte Awaken Your Complexion 4-Piece Customizable Complexion Kit (C$58.00)
2. Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder (C$35.00)
3. Benefit Fine One One (C$36.00)
#6 Liner and Lashes
I feel like we've been playing around with colour so much lately, we haven't really taken a minute to try out a basic liner and lash combo. This year, liner and big lashes are making a statement. We'll see a lot of kohl lining and subtle smokiness. There is also a new appreciation for the lower lash line.
1. Katy Perry Lashes by Eylure in Cool Kitty (C$8.00)
2. Lancome Hypnose Doll Lashes (C$31.00)
3. Smashbox Love Me Paint Pen Eye Liner
4. Too Faced Cat Eye Kit (C$14.00)
5. Kat Von D Autograph Pencil (C$22.00)
What beauty trends will you be trying out in 2013?
(images via vogue.co.uk, harpersbazaar.com)
More by Alexandra C.
More on Eyes, Lips, Face, Skin Care
All of these! Love those lipstick colours, always looking for a better way to make my lashes pop, and those nail kits are all ones Im going to try eventually!
I love doing matte lip looks!
I love blondies lip colour!!!!! Anyone know the exact shade?
I saw Annabelle Cosmetics tweet about their new CC cream the other day, Im curious to try it out and I like the packaging, very clean and neat looking
I can't wait to give the CC Creams a try. I'm really curious to see the difference between them and the BB Creams. I also love the velvet skin, but I think each look will look better on some then others depend on your own skin tone. I don't mind the fuchsia lip color on this model, but again I think it will depend on your skin tone. I know for a fact it wouldn't look good on me.
I'm excited that crazy colours are giving way for simple eye looks of liner/mascara.
The only look I won't be going for is the fuchsia lips.
I love the look of fuchsia lips! It's just not a look that I feel confident enough to pull off. I am a huge fan of BB cream's though. That is one item that I simply cannot go without! Love them.
I love fuchsia lips! I bought Revlon just bitten chubby stick in the fuchsia colour (I think its called lovesick?) which I love but was 'meh' wearing 'cuz it was neither in or out of style. So glad its in vogue this year :-) I love love love velvet skin. 'Glowy' skin is a sweeter name to 'oily' looking skin. A bit of glow using strategically placed illuminator is great, but I'm not a fan of all over slickness. Then again uber matte face looks parched and older. I much prefer Velvet skin. Skin that looks like skin. And I'm an eyeliner girl, if nothing else then eyeliner and lipstick and I'll be set.
Join Our Newsletter
Best of Beauty (65)
Blogs We Love (61)
Career & Finance (65)
ChickAdvisor Events (103)
ChickAdvisor Newsletters (17)
ChickChat TV (8)
Eating Out (73)
Eyes, Lips, Face (470)
Fan Mail (14)
Gadgets, Media (37)
Gift Guide (69)
Hands & Feet (96)
Makeup Tutorials (52)
New Features (27)
News & Issues (119)
Parties & People (80)
Posing Wall (120)
Product Review Club (74)
Runway Fashion (195)
Shop ChickAdvisor (6)
Skin Care (157)
Street Style (44)
Style Guide (352)
Videos We Love (58)
Weekly Roundup (79)
Would You Wear This? (51)