5 Ways To Dress Up a Ponytail + How to Make a DIY Sock Bun
Let's have a reality check ladies; with the balmy weather in full effect, keeping your hair down is pretty much certifiably insane. At the same time, the same 'ol messy bun or your basic ponytail done everyday can get so boring and seriously get you in a bit of a hair style rut.
To spice things up, we rounded up five versatile hair accessories that you can use to dress up your ponytail. Plus, if you haven't come across the amazingness that is the sock bun, we'll demo how you can create one for yourself. It's a fabulous alternative to the ponytail or a messy bun that takes seconds and creates the perfect (yes, perfect) ballerina bun.
#1 Barrettes and Bobby Pins
1. Claire's Metal Feather Barrette (C$7.25)
2. Urban Outfitters Adorn By Sarah Lewis Jewelry Bobby Pin Set of 3 (US$44.00)
3. J.Crew Pearl Bobby Pin Two Pack (US$14.50)
#2 Floral Accents
1. H&M 2 Pack Flower Hair Clips (C$4.95)
2. Anthropologie Jeweled Camella Clip (C$18.00)
3. Fuchsia Organza Flower Hair Clip (US$18.00)
4. Claire's Mini Rose Hairclip Set of 2 (C$7.25)
1. H&M Hair Clip (C$5.95)
2. Goody Doublewear Elastic Pack of 3 (US$4.49)
1. Aldo Tomasi Scarf (C$15.98, on sale)
2. Banana Republic Fiona Silk Geo Scarf (C$74.00)
American Apparel Stripe Twist Scarf (C$17.00)
#5 Cute Headbands
1. Forever 21 Whimsical Headwrap (C$6.80)
2. Urban Outfitters Bowtie Headwrap (US$16.00)
3. Zara Plaited Cord Hairband in Sorbet with Diamonds (C$5.99)
The DIY Sock Bun
Now, if all this isn't doing your hair justice, or maybe you're pulling a four day, no wash experiment, you'll want to try a chic chignon. Instead of just bunching up your hair and rolling it up, why not test out a sock bun? They create a perfect ballerina bun and it's crazy easy!
An old (clean!) sock
1. Cut the toes off of a sock, then begin rolling the sock to get a donut shape (as in the top left picture)
2. Tie your hair into a ponytail then place the end of your ponytail into the donut hole. Start rolling your hair along with the donut, don't worry about it being messy.
3. The final look! Secure it with any hair products (i.e. hairspray) and bobby pins.
What are some of your hair tips and tricks? How do you style up a basic pony or bun?
More by ChickAdvisor Team
More on Hair, Accessories
You May Also Like
the mini rose hair clips are so cute. that's some i would like to own and use. ;-)
I still have yet to try out that sockbun... I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow! I hope the results are okay with my extensively layered hair!
I Love the sock bun thing!!
Sock buns would be the most appropriate hairstyle for this summer.
wow that sock idea is SO COOL!!!
I'm really looking forward to when my hair is long enough to make a ponytail again.
I do the sock bun all the time! A hint I have learned: try to find a sock that is closer to your hair color, so if a bit peeks through it won't be as obvious.
Cool ideas, and some fun looks. The sock idea is cool. I have naturally curly hair, and I love to try new up do looks. It's great in the summer just to pull your hair back and it looks stylish. Thanks for the ideas.
Sock buns are my go-to hair style this summer!
I am a pony-tail, no-fuss girl all the way... so I love this article. This year the sock bun is everywhere... I think I will just have to try it. Alex's looks great. More natural for me are the fab bobby pins by Urban Outfitters and the Goody metallic collection... will be buying them tomorrow! I love a bubble ponytail, but feel a bit too old for them... maybe on beach holiday?
Join Our Newsletter
Best of Beauty (65)
Blogs We Love (61)
Career & Finance (65)
ChickAdvisor Events (103)
ChickAdvisor Newsletters (17)
ChickChat TV (8)
Eating Out (73)
Eyes, Lips, Face (483)
Fan Mail (14)
Gadgets, Media (37)
Gift Guide (71)
Hands & Feet (97)
Makeup Tutorials (53)
New Features (27)
News & Issues (119)
Parties & People (80)
Posing Wall (120)
Product Review Club (74)
Runway Fashion (196)
Shop ChickAdvisor (6)
Skin Care (162)
Street Style (44)
Style Guide (357)
Videos We Love (59)
Weekly Roundup (79)
Would You Wear This? (52)