Acne Clearing DIY Facial and Face Mask Round Up
We've all been there, whether your acne is hormonal, persistent or an angry red spot here and there, acne isn't fun. However, it keeps showing up like those elementary school photos when I decided a bob was a good idea (reminder to self: burn those).
Personally, one the treatments I've found to be most helpful is a deep cleansing mask. I've used a few and I've found that ingredients like sulfur, salicylic acid and kaolin or bentonite clays work wonders to dry blemishes and control sebum (i.e. yucky oil).
Here are some masks that we recommend to kick acne to the curb!
1. Vichy NormaDerm Tri-Activ Mask (C$19.95) contains three powerful ingredients: clay, glycolic acid and salicylic acid to purify and mattify skin.
2. Origins Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask (US$22.00) clears skin by drawing out impurities from blocked pores.
3. St. Ives Mineral Clay Firming Mask (C$5.99) is an inexpensive kaolin clay mask and is also great for it's anti-aging firming properties.
4. Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask (US$3.69) is a cult fave for it's great price tag and because of the quantity and quality you get.
5. Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Clay Mask (C$46.00) contains drying ingredients but is also a great exfoiliant. It also has the calming ingredient of witch hazel.
6. DDF Sulfur Therapeutic Mask (US$40.00) is an intense mask for those tough little zits that you can't seem to shake!
Of course, being me, I also love a good, quick, cheap n' easy home remedy. Here's a great DIY acne busting Aspirin face mask from reader Annie Robinson that works with Aspirin's salicylic acid to get rid of all that ickiness. Honey is added for moisture. I would also suggest using a bit of green tea instead of water for more antioxidants and softer skin.
Asprin Face Mask
What you'll need:
4 Regular Strength Asprin Tablets (uncoated)
1 tbsb warm water
1tsp warm honey
Drop in the Aspirin into the bowl. Pour in the water and crush the tablets until they make a paste. Add honey and combine until mixture appears smooth. Wash your face and apply asprin mixture all over. Let sit for 10-12 minuets and wash off.
What are some of your acne clearing tips and tricks?
More by Alexandra C.
More on Eyes, Lips, Face, DIY
I'll have to try this. I get bad acne flare-ups during PMS, and I'd do anything to combat it!
I would suggest Aztec Secrets Indian Healing Clay. I've tried numerous masks, and this one is by far the best.
Thanks Alex. :) Will check out the store when I'm in Toronto this weekend.
Sounds good. I'd try this.
I don't think I would try the aspirin face mask, but I use the mint-julep masque all the time.
@charmheart16 The only place I know of in Toronto where you can buy the Queen Helene mask is the Sally Beauty Supply out at St.Clair and Keele, otherwise you can check it out online!
I really want to try the Queen Helene Mint Julep mask. I've read so many good reviews on it. Unfortunately I've had no luck trying to locate this product. If anyone know where this product is sold in Toronto, please let me know. Thanks :) :)
Interesting! i ill have to try this out.
I actually use this DIY mask, I discovered it when Michelle Phan (on youtube) put a spot light on it a couple years ago. I love it so much, cheap and it works. :)
Join Our Newsletter
Best of Beauty (65)
Blogs We Love (61)
Career & Finance (65)
ChickAdvisor Events (103)
ChickAdvisor Newsletters (17)
ChickChat TV (8)
Eating Out (73)
Eyes, Lips, Face (472)
Fan Mail (14)
Gadgets, Media (37)
Gift Guide (69)
Hands & Feet (96)
Makeup Tutorials (52)
New Features (27)
News & Issues (119)
Parties & People (80)
Posing Wall (120)
Product Review Club (74)
Runway Fashion (195)
Shop ChickAdvisor (6)
Skin Care (157)
Street Style (44)
Style Guide (352)
Videos We Love (58)
Weekly Roundup (79)
Would You Wear This? (51)