Face, Hair and Body Oils + Why You Shouldn't Be Afraid of Them
To most people, the phrase 'beauty oil' is an oxymoron. The misconception about oils, specifically for face and hair is that they make your hair greasy or they make you break out. However, this isn't necessary the case. As any beauty junkie knows, 'one size fits all' skincare in any product, doesn't exist so certain oils may not be right for certain people but that's no reason to completely discount them. Oils are nourishing and are more emollient than gels or creams. They can actually help to build up a moisture barrier making skin softer. They also coat your hair, making it shiny and stronger.
So, now that we've convinced you of the benefits of oils, let's get into some of our favourites!
For your body:
As a body oil user myself, I can attest to the fact that oils give me much more supple skin and my skin stays hydrated for longer. There's also something to be said about the experience of using a body oil. They're feel amazing and instantly, you feel it being absorbed into your skin.
1. Fresh Sugar Body Oil (C$51.00)
2. Josie Maran Argan Oil (C$18.00-125.00)
3. While Lush Ro's Argan Body Conditioner (C$29.95) isn't actually an oil, it does contain argan oil. One of the most buzzed about beauty ingredients lately.
4. Clarins Tonic Body Treatment (C$55.00)
For your hair:
Hair oils can be applied to wet or dry hair and concentrated especially on damaged areas (i.e. straw-like split ends in my case). It's also suggested that if and when applying to the roots to massage the oil well to increase circulation. Hair oils can also be applied before you hit to beach to help protect your hair.
1. Marc Anthony Oil of Morocco Argan Oil Treatment (US$7.99)
2. Couture Colour Pequi Oil Treatment (C$36.00)
3. Live Clean Exotic Nectar Argan Oil Treatment (C$11.99)
4. Moroccanoil Treatment and Moroccanoil Treatment Light (C$40.80, available at select salons)
5. Ojon Rare Blend Oil Total Hair Therapy (C$39.00)
For your face:
I know, oil on your face. Usually you try to reduce it and here we are telling you to put more on! However, besides being ultra-moisturising, oils for your face add a nice glow to your skin. As well, face oils can used to rebalance your skin. You can apply oils straight onto your skin or mixed into your moisturizer for extra oomph!
1. Jurlique Skin Balancing Face Oil (C$62.00)
2. Darphin 8 Flower Nectar (US$150.00)
3. The Body Shop Beautifying Oils (C$14.00)
4. Clarins Blue Orchid Face Treatment Oil (US$50.00)
5. Bobbi Brown Extra Face Oil (C$62.00)
I'm a keen hair and body oil user but I don't necessary want to shell out a lot of money for them. Especially when I use it from head to toe, I don't want to buy a separate product for my face, body and hair. Lately, I've been finding beauty inspiration in my kitchen by using basic, household oils. Here are three of my favourite DIY oil products lately:
1. Almond Oil: This is a great all purpose product but I prefer it on my face. When I get really dry patches, I apply a small amount under makeup or before bed.
2. Coconut Oil: Coconut oil has been my dry hair and body saviour so far this summer! I apply it right after I get out of the shower for soft skin all day. I also apply it to my dry, colour damaged hair when wet for stronger and silkier hair.
3. Olive Oil: I prefer olive oil as a moisturizer on my body. It's readily available which is nice and it feels great on. As well, I just learned this little olive oil trick from the ever wonderful Michelle Phan!
Are you chicks oil devotees? If so, which oils do you swear by? If not, have you always been nervous about testing them out?
More by Alexandra C.
More on Eyes, Lips, Face, Skin Care
You May Also Like
I need to find a good oil for my hair. I have the Moroccan one, but people say it tints your hair. I have blonde hair, so I don't want it to turn orange-y. lol!
I do a weekly oil treatment for my hair, works like a charm!
I use Josie Maran Argan Oil on my face because it does not break it out and my very oily skin absorbs it better than creams.
I am a huge fan of coconut oil :) Hair - Skin - Nails and cooking, it pretty much does it all!!
These are really very informative tips.
I grew up knowing black women oiled their scalps to promote hair growth. Don't ask me what kind of oil they used, cuz I never found out. However, I have recently been using olive oil on my hair (ends only), face (at night when my rosacea breaks out) and on my body to moisturize after a shower. I wish I'd started doing this years earlier because everything just seems to be looking better since I started.
I love using oils! I use Moroccan oil in my hair, but if I run out I've used olive oil. I like using Baby oil on my skin, its super moisturising and its also a bug repellent, so it's a double whammy during summer months.
The Clarins tonic is great for pregnancy scars but I would stay AWAY from anything that contains parabens since they mimic the hormone Estrogen and therefore can contribute to breast cancers (studies show that there is an increased concentration of parabens in malignant breast tissue). I know for sure Lushs Ro's Argan has it. Beware ladies! Live a healthy happy long life!
I use an oil based lotion on my legs during the winter, and it makes them really smooth. I don't ever use them on my face or hair (as a routine), as I have acne prone skin - and wouldn't want it to cause any issues. But, every once in awhile - I'll have my style throw some Moroccanoil on me! I love that stuff.
I would totally use an oil in my hair or body but I'd still hate the texture of oil on my face because I have combination skin! I think I'm going to have to get some of that Argan Oil everyone is raving about!
Join Our Newsletter
Best of Beauty (65)
Blogs We Love (61)
Career & Finance (65)
ChickAdvisor Events (103)
ChickAdvisor Newsletters (17)
ChickChat TV (8)
Eating Out (73)
Eyes, Lips, Face (483)
Fan Mail (14)
Gadgets, Media (37)
Gift Guide (71)
Hands & Feet (97)
Makeup Tutorials (53)
New Features (27)
News & Issues (119)
Parties & People (80)
Posing Wall (120)
Product Review Club (74)
Runway Fashion (196)
Shop ChickAdvisor (6)
Skin Care (162)
Street Style (44)
Style Guide (358)
Videos We Love (59)
Weekly Roundup (79)
Would You Wear This? (52)