Hair How-To: Jennifer Lawrence's Boho Braided Updo
I have some super important news. Here it is: I am fairly certain that Jennifer Lawrence is my spirit animal. She makes amazing reaction faces, she's adorably cute and she knows how to prioritize (food above all else, my friend). There's also the fact that I covet her hair. Whether she's brunette or blonde, her long locks are always gorgeous.
At the recent Golden Globes, Jennifer Lawrence contrasted a glamorous gown with a bohemian inspired updo that showed off her beautiful features (yes, I am aware that I am totally fangirling right now). The beachy, messy waves and braided pieces pulled into a low chic chignon brought the look together.
What I love about this hairstyle is that although Jennifer wore it with a Dior gown, it would look just as pretty with trousers and a blazer at work or jeans and a sweater on the weekend.
What else do I love about this? It's actually deceptively easy to achieve! Mark Townsend, Dove's spokesperson and the man behind Jennifer's style shared some insider tips on how to get the look:
1. To damp hair, apply a curl enhancing mousse and blow dry. A diffuser attachment helps to encourage natural curls.
Pro Tip: Textured hair styles like these work better with second day hair because it holds curl better. However, if this style starts with clean hair, we suggest using some dry shampoo to add volume and texture.
2. Next, take random sections of hair and spray with hairspray to keep hold, before wrapping the hair around a 1/2 inch curling iron to enhance the curls and scrunch with hands.
Pro Tip: We also suggest using a heat protecting spray for any hair style that uses styling tools.
3. Then, take 3 to 4 inch sections of hair around the hairline and loosely braid them before pulling all the hair back into a low chignon and secure with bobby pins.
4. Finish with hairspray to keep the hair in place.
Here are a few products we recommend with this style:
1. Tresemme Heat Tamer Protective Spray (C$7.49)
2. Goody Bobby Pins (C$2.29)
3. Dove Style+Care Strength & Shine Extra Hold Hairspray (C$7.49)
4. Dove Style+Care Nourishing Curls Mousse (C$4.77)
5. Marc Anthony 2nd Day Clear Dry Shampoo (C$11.99)
6. Joico Power Spray Fast Dry Finishing Spray (C$16.99)
7. Sultra The Bombshell 3/4 Inch (C$130.00)
8. Goody Latex Elastics (C$3.59)
What do you think of this style? Is it something you'd try?
More by Alexandra C.
More on Hair
Sigh.. it's pretty much impossible for me (with my curls/layers/lack of ability) to put my hair in any kind of updo. I absolutely love it on Jennifer Lawrence though!
Id definitely try it but it never turns out amaze balls like this!
I'm kind of in love with her. I don't think I have the skillz to perfect this style, but the tips are appreciated!
Love this look, but I have no patience for my unruly curly hair
I think this suits her beautifully!
I have that Dove stuff, works great! Love the frizz mousse!
I love this look, but my hair is so straight that it just wouldn't stay up no matter what I used on it.
I absolutely love this look! I'm also a huge Jennifer Lawrence fan. She's adorable!
Join Our Newsletter
Best of Beauty (73)
Blogs We Love (63)
Career & Finance (66)
ChickAdvisor Events (115)
ChickAdvisor Newsletters (17)
ChickChat TV (8)
Eating Out (73)
Eyes, Lips, Face (590)
Fan Mail (14)
Gadgets, Media (40)
Gift Guide (85)
Hands & Feet (116)
Makeup Tutorials (60)
New Features (28)
News & Issues (125)
Parties & People (90)
Posing Wall (128)
Product Review Club (102)
Reviewers' Choice Awards (6)
Runway Fashion (212)
Shop ChickAdvisor (6)
Skin Care (227)
Street Style (48)
Style Guide (397)
Videos We Love (60)
Weekly Roundup (79)
Would You Wear This? (56)
Articles ArchiveBrowse articles by date
What was the first movie you ever seen at the Movie Theater ?
Garnier BB Cream Miracle Skin Perfector Light - Medium
Josie Maran Argan Infinity Cheek and Lip Creamy Oil