Summer Accessories: Belts For Dresses
Create a waist in a loose summer dress or add visual interest to a more tailored fit with a belt. This summer there's a variety of hues and textures. From nautical rope belts that will compliment cotton shirt dresses to animal-print wrap belts that will add texture to this summer's colour-block looks. You can never go wrong with leathers in rust browns and butterscotch shades, especially when paired with a flowered frock.
From left: Rose Byrne cinches a draped dress, Kate Moss goes for a corset-style, Lauren Conrad adds shape to a flowy frock, and Reese Witherspoon compliments a denim shirt dress with a tied-rope belt.
A skinny belt is lady-like and won't add bulk to your frame. Tie it around a tent dress to create a waist or keep it a bit loose around a tunic.
1. Warehouse Leopard Print Slim Belt (C$35.41)
2. Banana Republic Super Skinny Leather Belt (C$50.00)
3. H&M 3-Pack Belts (C$14.95)
4. Zara Patent Belt With Bow (C$19.90)
5. Gorjana Fairfax Studded Belt (C$69.22)
6. River Island Bow Belt (C$35.41)
7. Danier Braided Leather Belt (C$29.00)
8. Banana Republic Skinny Fashion Belt (C$55.00)
9. Asos Plaited Boyfriend Belt (C$17.71)
A medium-width belt of an inch or two is an all purpose style that will look best at your natural waist or slightly higher depending on the dress. This is a great place to experiment with colour and texture as it's hard to make a belt clash with a dress.
1. Danier Leather Woven Belt (C$29.00)
2. Mango Duo T C Belt (C$49.90)
3. Banana Republic Dual Ring Belt (C$74.00)
4. J. Crew Lattice Belt (US$52.00)
5. Elegantly Waisted Brady Belt (C$154.52)
6. Gap Metallic Woven Belt (C$34.95)
7. Zara Crochet Belt (C$19.90)
8. J. Crew Rope Belt (US$39.50)
9. Mango Missouri C Belt (C$44.99 sale)
10. Mango ADN C Belt (C$29.90 sale)
A wide belt works like a corset and creates an hourglass shape. Stay away from bulky belts, they'll just add width to your middle, and be sure that the dress is fairly tailored or else the bodice will bag out like a milk maid at Oktoberfest.
1. Topshop Red Leather Wide Double Buckle Belt (US$70.00)
2. Nasty Gal Canyon Leather Belt (US$28.00)
3. Elegantly Waisted Snake Cummerbund (C$50.83)
4. Zara Leather Sash Belt (C$69.90)
5. Topshop Brown Three Strand Corset Belt (US$50.00)
What's your favourite style to cinch your dresses this summer?
More by Siofan
More on Accessories
Like my mom always said, show off your waist while you still have one- belts are so good for that!
I always find medium belts the most flattering. I really like the one from Mango.
I love that Danier belt! It will look great with a beige or white dress. I used to hate skinny belts, because I thought they disappeared under my clothes...but I'm starting to see more and more of these belts, with more detail that just looks amazing!
Perfect! I'm always looking for accessories and I think belts are perfect to adding a little something extra to your look. I like the beige one from Banana Republic. Beige is such a nice nude color to have and easy to go with many different colors
Join Our Newsletter
Best of Beauty (73)
Blogs We Love (63)
Career & Finance (66)
ChickAdvisor Events (126)
ChickAdvisor Newsletters (17)
ChickChat TV (8)
Eating Out (73)
Eyes, Lips, Face (591)
Fan Mail (14)
Gadgets, Media (40)
Gift Guide (85)
Hands & Feet (122)
Makeup Tutorials (61)
New Features (28)
News & Issues (125)
Parties & People (90)
Posing Wall (128)
Product Review Club (119)
Reviewers' Choice Awards (6)
Runway Fashion (213)
Shop ChickAdvisor (6)
Skin Care (233)
Street Style (48)
Style Guide (400)
Videos We Love (61)
Weekly Roundup (79)
Would You Wear This? (56)