Summer Vacation: 10 Fashion Essentials for Travel
Recently, some of the lovely ChickAdvisor Staffers went on vacation. As you know, Ali took a trip to San Francisco and not too long ago, Ali was in New York. Mandy also just came back from a trip to Orlando to visit Mickey Mouse! Of course, I was extremely jealous. Once I got over my jealousy at the fact that Mandy got to see Princess Jasmine, I was inspired by Ali and Mandy's travels to create a list of the top 10 fashion essentials you need on vacation.
I think that we can all agree that while you're on vacation, you're not too overly concerned with how you look. You're walking around, sight seeing and you've only got a small trunk to pack up everything you'll need. That being said, you're also not going after that 'sloppy, just woke up look'. For this list, I wanted to get that casual, laidback vibe but I wanted each piece to still be chic. All the clothes are easy pieces that can do double duty for day or night. So, here are 10 essential items you need to have in your suitcase this summer vacay:
1. A Great Sweater: For chilly nights or the occasional windy day, bring a sweater with you. Only, instead of going with a basic hoodie, look for fitted styles in cardis or pullovers. Go for trendy colours and luxe fabrics for a more upscale feel.
2. Curve-Loving Denim: Everybody needs a pair of denim on them that looks great, regardless of whether or not you're on vacation. If you don't already own a pair, this is the perfect excuse to shop for them! They go with everything, they're comfy and I guarantee, they will become your best friend.
3. Multi-purpose Maxi: Maxi dresses paired with a pair of flat sandals are a great, easy option for walking around a city. Paired with some jewellery and wedges, they instantly become 'night out with the hubby' wear.
1. Banjo & Matilda 'The Ultimate Vee' (AU$289.00)
2. Lauren Ralph Lauren Slimming Modern Ankle Jean (C$68.99)
3. Free People Marled Yarn Pullover (C$91.64)
4. Whistles Stevie Triangle Spot Maxi Dress (C$238.21)
5. Forever 21 Four Pocket Skinny Jeans (C$29.90)
6. Old Navy Women's Tie-Waist Tube Maxi Dress (C$25.00)
4. Fun Shorts: This summer, I am recommending that instead of going with the traditional denim cut-offs or beige khakis shorts that you have some fun and try on a pair of coloured or patterned ones! I adore this hot pink colour and the mint pair is to die for. They're an easy way to look stylish and modern.
5. Cute Skirts: If you're not a shorts gal (I admittedly, am not) then do a feminine skirt instead. This season, there isn't really a trending length for skirts either so go with whatever length looks best on you. Remember to play with patterns and styles. I find skirts the comfiest in the summer heat as well.
6. Statement Jewelry: I've mentioned this before, but going from day to night is as simple as adding an attention grabbing piece of jewelry. Be sure to pack one or two necklaces or earrings in your suitcase; this way, you don't necessarily need to pack a whole other outfit for a special occasion or dinner out.
1. Gap Neon Boyfriend Roll-Up Shorts (C$44.95)
2. Asos Midi Floral Skirt (C$70.58)
3. J Crew Bubble Necklace (US$150.000)
4. Vero Moda Annabel Mini Shorts (UK$13.64)
5. TopShop Sailor Skirt (C$50.00)
6. Anthropologie Kulfi Strand Necklace (US$78.00)
7. Basic Tanks and Tees: This is something I used all the time when I was travelling. I stocked up on basic tanks and tees in a few different colours, sometimes with interesting details and I would pair them with my more interesting bottoms. Tees and tanks take up less space and when you find a style or fit you like at a store, you can buy them in bulk in a few different colours or styles, that way they're bound to go with any bottom you own. Because you wash tops more often than bottoms, you can get away with bringing less bottoms and more versatile tops to play around with.
8. Cute Flats: Okay ladies, let's get real for second. Yes, we all love heels and yes, we'd all love to be that girl who wears them all day and never tires of them. How realistic is that though, especially when traveling? I mean, do you want to be the wet blanket that asks people to stop for a rest when you're feet hurt? No. Instead, invest in a pair of good quality, cute flats that will go with a lot of your outfits. Your feet will thank you.
1. Joe Fresh Lace Up Tank (C$12.00)
2., 3. Old Navy Perfect Rib-Knit Tank (C$8.50)
4. Joe Fresh Crochet Tank (C$10.00)
5. Payless Dexter Gally Boat Moc (US$27.99)
9. Carry-All Purses: Since you're going to be doing lots of walking and maybe a day trip or two, you'll want to bring a large, stylish and practical bag to carry all your purse essentials in. Go for a bag with a long strap attached so you can change from handbag to cross-body. I'm a big fan of statement purses but when your wardrobe is limited, it's a better idea to go with a bag in a neutral colour that will match everything you wear.
10. Light Jacket: Depending on where and when you leave, you may want to bring a light, spring jacket with you, preferably one that's also water resistant. You never know when cold weather may strike so it's always a good idea to be prepared.
1., 5. Roots Small Longbeach Tote (C$318.00)
2. NastyGal Blair Messenger Bag in Orange (US$68.00)
3. Zara Parka with Pockets (C$99.90)
4. Smart Set Soft Roll Up Sleeve Jacket (C$40.00, on sale)
What are your fashion essentials when you travel?
More by Alexandra C.
More on Style Guide, Travel, Accessories
Love Maxi Dresses, by far my favorite summer essential piece
That tube dress from Old Navy is quite cute...Brings back memories of being a teenager when tube tops were all the rage.Id be way to scared to wear one now could be scary lol....
@ sirenstarlight; u got mugged? How aweful :(
Don't like the long dresses...not good for us short people
Great tips! Most importantly, you want to pack for where you are going.
Great list as summer vacations are coming up! We'll be road tripping and I want to minimize my packing this year...I always tend to way overpack!!
in love with all these articles, always help :)
Cute!! Love the fun colors and pieces. I really love that J Crew necklace!
I second the flats. I used to only bring heels with me and after some unfortunate incidents including hiking in sandals and spending the rest of the evening with my feet in a tub of ice, I learned my lessons. At least one paid is necessary.
Join Our Newsletter
Best of Beauty (65)
Blogs We Love (61)
Career & Finance (65)
ChickAdvisor Events (103)
ChickAdvisor Newsletters (17)
ChickChat TV (8)
Eating Out (73)
Eyes, Lips, Face (473)
Fan Mail (14)
Gadgets, Media (37)
Gift Guide (69)
Hands & Feet (97)
Makeup Tutorials (52)
New Features (27)
News & Issues (119)
Parties & People (80)
Posing Wall (120)
Product Review Club (74)
Runway Fashion (195)
Shop ChickAdvisor (6)
Skin Care (158)
Street Style (44)
Style Guide (353)
Videos We Love (58)
Weekly Roundup (79)
Would You Wear This? (52)