The Guide to Finding the Perfect Lipstick for any Occasion

Wednesday January 16, 2013 by Alexandra C.

It's my personal belief that the right lipstick can take you anywhere. It's the finishing touch that brings everything together. The icing on the cake, so to speak. When it comes to dressing for occasions or certain events, once you've got your clothes picked out, picking the perfect lip colour is the next step.

It can be a minefield of faux pas and beauty blunders though. So to be sure you're always on the mark when it comes to your perfect pout, we put together a guide of the perfect lipstick for any occasion.

The Occasion: Family gathering
The Lipstick: Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Volupté Shine in 14 Corail in Touch (C$39.00)
Go for: Punchy and fun, coral tinted, light but nothing too brash

The Occasion: Formal event, Wedding
The Lipstick: Dior Rouge Dior Nude Lip Blush in Esquisse (C$36.00)
Go for: Tasteful and elegant dusty raspberry red with pink tones that make lips pop but isn't too over the top

The Occasion: Running errands
The Lipstick: L'Oreal Paris Colour Riche Balm in Rose Elixir (C$10.09)
Go for: Moisturzing with a 'your lip but better' colour and slight gloss

The Occasion: Date night
The Lipstick: Lancome Rouge In Love in 200B (C$30.00)
Go for: Sweet but subtle rosy colour, subdued and romantic

The Occasion: Drinks
The Lipstick: Nars Lipstick in Schiap (C$30.00)
Go for: Chic, fashion forward fuschia for fun and attention grabbing lips

The Occasion: Ladies Night Out
The Lipstick: Make Up For Ever Aqua Rouge in Iconic Red (C$27.00)
Go for: Bold, bright and long lasting so you don't need to reapply

The Occasion: Important work meeting
The Lipstick: Smashbox Be Legendary Lipstick in Vivid Violet (C$22.00)
Go for: A deep berry colour that shows them you're unafraid and ready to take on anything

The Occasion: Casual lunch date
The Lipstick: Tarte Glamazon Pure Performance 12-Hour Lipstick (C$34.00)
Go for: Pretty, vintage pinks, simple but cute

Which of these lipstick shades is your favourite? Do you change up lipsticks for occasion or even daily or are you loyal to just one colour?

(adapted via http://i.imgur.com/44t8f.jpg)

More on Eyes, Lips, Face

on Jan 25, 2013  Racenhawk  2,464 said:

I wear lipstip according to what I'm wearing and what will match with it

on Jan 23, 2013  Maja said:

As a very fair-skinned. blue eyed strawberry blonde, can't / don't wear any of the shades above as they just don't suit me. I tend to stick with neutrals (Natural Beauty by Lancome is my fav) for daily wear and I have a few 'punchier' ones for going out to dinner or parties. Love the guide though, very neat way to break things down! :)

on Jan 20, 2013  nscott84  3,980 said:

I usually keep it safe, I've tried a few bold shades recently and wasn't a fan (then again I domt do change well). My next shade on my list to try are berries, right now I'm keeping it neutral or light pink.

on Jan 18, 2013  shanaz  4,713 said:

Nars "Shiap" is still on my wishlist!

on Jan 17, 2013  AlexJC said:

@Becky I am so glad I could contribute to your makeup addiction! :) I've tried Sephora lipsticks too and I agree- I was pleasantly surprised. I'm a big fan of their lip stains. I didn't ever think to try them out but once I did I was glad I did. Pinks are tricky sometimes, I find that if I go to bubblegum-y I just look very young, not in a good way.

on Jan 17, 2013  Becky  12,798 said:

@AlexJC: just 'cuz of this article I went to Sephora yesterday and picked up the Sephora "Orange Rocks" lipstick .. I also wanted a "vintage pink" lipstick like what you described here but the colour "vintage pink" sorta washed me out (looked too vintage and not enough pink on my skin) so I went for "natural pink" which I think is a "vintage pink" on my skin tone. I'm wearing my pink today and I must say I like it! I've since now overlooked Sephora lipsticks but man this is pretty good! Thanks :) :)

on Jan 17, 2013  takoda  25,881 said:

I like the Formal Wedding, Date, Casual Lunch Date and the Important work meeting shades. I use to wear the berry shades more when I was younger, but lately I've bin more into the lighter shades.

on Jan 16, 2013  Jo999  2,873 said:

Love this guide! Thank you <3

on Jan 16, 2013  LissaG  5,960 said:

Really like errands & important meetings (i'm all about the deep plums!)

on Jan 16, 2013  melissakj said:

I've always been a lover of scarlet lipsticks, but this fuschia trend looks like something I can't pass up. Solution for having to kiss people (a la date or family gathering)? Two-step lipstick! No messy prints.