The Perils of Pregnancy Brain (don't judge--there IS such a thing)
Prior to getting knocked up, I'd heard about this condition called 'Pregnancy Brain'. People say you get forgetful and essentially say and do dumb things thanks to hormones and the baby literally sucking away your brain power. But I figured I could get away without this if I got a lot of sleep and tried to stay healthy. Not that I've been eating healthy at all.
I've recently come to realize I am no exception to this humiliating condition. Some stuff I'm not even aware I'm doing until third parties point it out ("Hey, I'm pretty sure what you just said wasn't in English"), but there have been a few notable moments so far that have been quite embarrassing.
1. At a recent presentation I went up to the whiteboard to do some math calculations (a bad idea at the best of times), and I completely blanked. I sheepishly asked someone else to calculate what $20 X 40 was.
2. I've almost entirely forgotten how to spell. I find myself looking words up in google like "despicable" (dispikable) and "awkward" (akward). And just forget about my gramer.
3. I have sent some shameful emails. (see point #2)
4. I wrote the wrong date down for a meeting. The person confirmed the correct date with me prior to coming, I agreed to it, but then when they showed up at the agreed time I was really confused and surprised.
5. I wore my underwear backwards for an entire day. It felt weird when I put them on in the morning, but I figured my butt was expanding and what can I do about that? It was only midway through the day that I realized that itchy tag at the front didn't belong there.
If you think any of these are bad, I'm told it's only the beginning. Some people have it worse. When googling my condition I found this amazing blog post on Pregnant Chicken. It's a must read.
Can anyone relate?
More by Ali
More on Pregnancy
Oh my gosh, that is too funny!
Your stories are all too funny! I just had my latest moment. I called a client to check in how they felt about our last campaign together. It went something like this:
I completely relate! When I was pregnant with my son, I went out for dinner with my pants on backwards. I felt strange but thought it was the expanding belly however when I went to the bathroom, I was mortified.
I totally relate, i'm 36 weeks now and just went on leave at work. I think all my coworkers thought I was a crazy my last week there LOL i was misplacing everything! I'm home now so I can't get in any more trouble.
Because of this article I will now make a conscience effort to be more aware and understanding of those who may be experiencing pregnancy brain :)
mommy2be i promise i'll post when *my time* comes :-) I'll need all your support just like I do now (http://www.chickadvisor.com/chickchat/health/health-goalshelp/).. good men are gems, and as hard to come by. But nothing, absolutely NOTHING replaces girlfriends. xoxo
Oh, I love you all so much!
I love Pregnant Chicken. It's a totally awesome blog!!
Can't relate yet, but #5 just made my day. Thank you. I about spit out my yogurt granola as I read it during a work break.
oh right, undies backwards .. that is really nothing!! You know the Reitmans "original comfort pants"? The one with no zipper or buttons? You can see what I mean here:
Join Our Newsletter
Best of Beauty (73)
Blogs We Love (63)
Career & Finance (66)
ChickAdvisor Events (117)
ChickAdvisor Newsletters (17)
ChickChat TV (8)
Eating Out (73)
Eyes, Lips, Face (590)
Fan Mail (14)
Gadgets, Media (40)
Gift Guide (85)
Hands & Feet (118)
Makeup Tutorials (60)
New Features (28)
News & Issues (125)
Parties & People (90)
Posing Wall (128)
Product Review Club (117)
Reviewers' Choice Awards (6)
Runway Fashion (213)
Shop ChickAdvisor (6)
Skin Care (231)
Street Style (48)
Style Guide (398)
Videos We Love (60)
Weekly Roundup (79)
Would You Wear This? (56)
Articles ArchiveBrowse articles by date
Kate Spade Puffer Leopard Print Stevie Baby Business Bag