Tip Tuesday: 5 Cozy DIY's with Sweaters
As the wind is getting a little nippy these days, I did a recent 'back of the closet' haul to take out all of my stored away, big bulky sweaters. Of course, every year there are always one or two sweaters that as I pull out, I think to myself, 'yup, this one has seen better days'. Whether it's simply worn out, has a few too many holes orhas an ugly run in the thread, it's usually time to toss it.
This year however, it's time to think DIY style when it comes to your old knitwear. We have 5 easy DIY projects to tackle with your tired knits so you can revamp them into something fabulous and fun! Also, if you're lucky enough to have a closet full of sweaters still in their prime, I suggest scoping out your local thrift shops for some inexpensive gems.
1. Cozies for coffee mugs: A reusable sleeve is easy to create and can actually make a good homemade gift as well. Just cut off the sleeve of a sweater and if you're handy with a sewing machine, add buttons or pins to personalize it.
2. Slipper socks: I would like to wear these ones right up by the fireside, curled up with a book. Great for when the snow starts falling!
3. Sweater Cuffs for Boots: Whether you're looking for a bit of extra warmth or you just like the look of a thick sock and boot, this is a super simple and easy craft.
4. Wreath: A quirky alternative for your holiday decorations.
5. Pillows: Imagine how soft and warm these would be; they would add great texture to a couch. I especially love the little rosette details added on.
Do you repurpose or reuse old clothes? What DIY projects have you attempted with them?
More by Alexandra C.
More on Home, DIY
Great ideas. love it!
OMG the pillow idea is AWESOME!! Extremely creative :)
i love number 3 and 4! best ideas are found on this site :)
How creative! I'm definitely making those coffee mug cozies, specially now that most coffee shops no longer provide paper cup holders. Love the pillows!
love all of these ideas. thanks for posting!
I love all those ideas but especially the sweater cuffs for your boots! I'm totally gonna try that one!
I made the sweater boot cuffs when I saw them on pinterest and I love them, they were super easy to make. Also the sweater pillows look really cute.
I actually might make the cup sleeves as stocking stuffers! So cute and easy! I like the other ideas (not the wreath so much)...I might do the sweater cuffs for boots, but the others are a bit too difficult for me ince I don't know how to use a sewing machine lol
@mamaluv-The braided rugs are very popular here!I see them at all the craft fairs...They are time consuming but I love making them ....Denim would be a great idea!
@Bren, yes I've seen braided rugs using old denim! For that matter, I'm planning to use some old denim to make a beanbag chair for my son. We'll see how well that goes though. I'm not as crafty as *some* people :)
Join Our Newsletter
Best of Beauty (65)
Blogs We Love (61)
Career & Finance (65)
ChickAdvisor Events (103)
ChickAdvisor Newsletters (17)
ChickChat TV (8)
Eating Out (73)
Eyes, Lips, Face (470)
Fan Mail (14)
Gadgets, Media (37)
Gift Guide (69)
Hands & Feet (96)
Makeup Tutorials (52)
New Features (27)
News & Issues (119)
Parties & People (80)
Posing Wall (120)
Product Review Club (74)
Runway Fashion (194)
Shop ChickAdvisor (6)
Skin Care (156)
Street Style (44)
Style Guide (352)
Videos We Love (58)
Weekly Roundup (79)
Would You Wear This? (51)
Articles ArchiveBrowse articles by date
Anonymous has started a new forum topic I thought he was the one for me