We Love Fridays: Summer Reads Edition
During the summer months, my reading material needs to be that perfect blend of humour, romance and fun, of course some juicy drama thrown in doesn't hurt either! I'm a big fan of beach reads. I love light hearted novels that I can just relax and unwind with. Sure, it isn't War and Peace or anything but who doesn't love some guilty pleasure reading in the sun?
There are some great reads to be released just in time for you to hit the beach, here's a few:
1. The Jane Austen Marriage Manual (C$21.99) begs the question, 'is it ever ok to marry for money'? Following the rules set out by Jane Austen, main character Kate sets out to see if she can 'marry well' in the modern age.
2. The Singles by Meredith Goldstein (US$10.95) takes place over a weekend wedding where old friends and family have come to celebrate. Only what develops with the so called "Minus-Ones" reeks havoc on a perfectly planned day.
3. When You Were Mine by Elizabeth Noble (US$6.00) is about a woman torn between her husband of eight years and her first love, who appears suddenly in her life.
4. Overseas by Beatriz Williams (US$15.57) fuses together romance and time travel in a story of a steamy affair between a British billionaire and a bookish young woman.
5. Wife 22: A Novel by Melanie Gideon (C$29.95) is about a middle aged woman losing and finding herself once again. Think Bridget Jones meets I Don't Know How She Does It for a funny and honest read.
1. 22 Britannia Road by Amanda Hodgkinson (US$10.38) is the story of family and marriage during war times. After being separated from her husband for years, when Silvana and Janusz are finally reunited, they need to ask themselves if they can accept each other, secrets and all.
2. Everybody Has Everything by Katrina Onstad (C$22.99) mixes comedy in tragedy in a fiction about a couple who become the legal guardians of a 2 1/2 year old after their friends pass away in a car crash.
3. The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty (US$17.25) is inspired by the real life relationship between a 15 year old, wild budding movie star and the older, conservative woman charged with taking care of her. It takes place in the 1920's in New York during a summer that will change both their lives.
4. Summerland by Elin Hilderbrand (C$29.99) promises to be a dramatic page turner! Truths are revealed when a car crash destroys the lives of a group of friends.
5. The Proposal by Mary Balogh (C$31.00) is definitely one for the period drama jukie! It's about a woman who gives into temptation when she meets a daring war hero. I'm blushing already!
Don't forget the tried, tested and true books as well chicks! Here are our staff pick oldies but goodies for your beach bag:
Claire's Pick: Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella (US$10.00)
Ali's Pick: It's Your Money, Honey: A Girl's Guide to Saving, Investing, and Building Wealth at Every Age and Life Stage (C$15.64)
Alexandra's Pick: Summer Sisters by Judy Blume (C$9.99)
Miranda's Pick: He's Just Not That Into You by Greg Behrendt (C$12.27)
Do you have a favourite summer time book?
More by Alexandra C.
More on Relax
Summerland will be touring my blog, http://fredasvoice.blogspot.ca in June on the 25th. I will also be having a giveaway for 3 copies of the book!
Looks like Chapters will be getting a visit from me!
loveds 50 shades! Perfect summer read :)
When you were mine sounds good. I'm feeling a romance novel right now.
I'm addicted to Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series. Nice non-serious fluff I can read to relax on a nice sunny day.
These reads look awesome! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for posting the list of summer reads. I was always into reading back in the day. But now with my 2 yr old son as well as my full time job its super hard to even find time to just relax!
anything by Susan Elizabeth phillips is great for lazy summer days. And there's plenty to chose from!
Join Our Newsletter
Best of Beauty (65)
Blogs We Love (61)
Career & Finance (65)
ChickAdvisor Events (103)
ChickAdvisor Newsletters (17)
ChickChat TV (8)
Eating Out (73)
Eyes, Lips, Face (472)
Fan Mail (14)
Gadgets, Media (37)
Gift Guide (69)
Hands & Feet (96)
Makeup Tutorials (52)
New Features (27)
News & Issues (119)
Parties & People (80)
Posing Wall (120)
Product Review Club (74)
Runway Fashion (195)
Shop ChickAdvisor (6)
Skin Care (157)
Street Style (44)
Style Guide (352)
Videos We Love (58)
Weekly Roundup (79)
Would You Wear This? (51)