Would You Wear: The Graphic Sweater

Thursday February 21, 2013 by Alexandra C.

When comfortable pieces of clothing become fashionable, I'm happy. I'm still secretly awaiting the time when 90's baggy overalls come back in style.

So when designers like Jeremy Scott, Kenzo for Opening Ceremony and Balenciaga all showed sweatshirts in their fall/winter 2012 collections, I was on board. It helped that these weren't your run of the mill, plain Jane sweatshirts. These were bold, colourful, patterned and quirky sweatshirts that gave some serious edge.

Street style stars even proved that the graphic sweater was wearable at fashion week:

While it's super chic on these ladies, we're still unconvinced that the graphic sweater works in everyday life. Maybe done with the right combo of clothing and paired down with denim or solid trousers?

These celebrities jumped on the bandwagon too and interpreted the trend in a more wearable way (except those sunnies, Rihanna?):

(left to right) Taylor Swift, Rihanna

(left to right) Alexa Chung, Miley Cyrus

So, what's your take? Is this a flash in the pan type of fad or will this one stick around for a few seasons?

If you're hooked on the graphic sweater, here are a few options we think would fit nicely into any wardrobe:

1. Romwe "Paris" Eiffel Tower Grey Pullover (US$31.99, on sale)

2. Zara Plush T-Shirt (C$59.90)

3. Old Navy Lightweight Graphic Sweaters (C$25.00, on sale)

4. Forever 21 Minnie Mouse Cupcake Pullover (C$23.80)

5. Markus Lupfer Lips Knit (UK$299.00)

6. Asos Sweatshirt in 101 Dalmatians Print (C$53.12)

I like the comfort aspect but I have my doubts about it's longevity. What do you think chicks? Would you wear the graphic sweater?

(images via openingceremony.us, becauseimaddicted.net, designyoutrust.com, stylepile.com, lookbook.nu, thetrendreport.gr)

More on Runway Fashion, Celebrities, Would You Wear This?

on Feb 28, 2013  lindsaycyr  1,171 said:

I think some of them are sort of cute, but I honestly can't picture myself wearing anything like this.

on Feb 28, 2013  Racenhawk  2,464 said:

not my bag

on Feb 27, 2013  shanaz  4,653 said:

It looks somewhat tacky and seems to be for a 20's and under age group. However, to lounge at home or run errands in this would be cozy and effortless.

on Feb 27, 2013  Jessica Denomme said:

Ladies,

I'm LOVING graphic sweaters. I especially love Romwe pullover you've featured. Tips to all: Forever 21 always has a great selection of graphic sweaters...on the cheap!

Jessica Denomme

on Feb 27, 2013  anchorend  237 said:

on Feb 27, 2013  Kaylynn said:

I'm totally digging it. Super easy way to still look cute but not have to put in too much effort.

on Feb 25, 2013  Becky  12,798 said:

Love the graphic sweater! I think an oversized sweater with leggings look amazing and flatters most figures

on Feb 22, 2013  Melly said:

I think they're so fun and can certainly be stylish when worn properly. It's definitely a better look when worn with a tailored bottom (skirt, pants or shorts) - not track pants that will just make you look like you didn't care about how you'd look that day!! I've jumped on the bandwagon and gotten a couple of graphic sweaters, worn with jeans or a skirt with wedge sneakers or boots, I've gotten a couple of compliments so I think it's working...

on Feb 22, 2013  Tynk  1,219 said:

Some of these are actually kind of cute. What's wrong with having some fun with your wardrobe?

on Feb 22, 2013  flower  4,155 said: