on Apr 15, 2009 @ 10:42 am|
So I have mentioned before, I am going on a trip very soon (to EGYPT!!!! SO EXCITED) ahem anyways lol I was thinking about getting my legs and bikini line waxed before I go so I don't have to worry about shaving the whole time. The only thing is, I have never gotten my legs waxed before and have heard some horror stories about your first time (like getting bruised, or looking very red and sore etc.) ... I don't want to look like I got beaten up on vacation lol ... any ideas about what I should do?
|my thoughts on Apr 15, 2009 @ 12:04 pm|
1. You won't know how your skin will react until you've had it done, so I wouldn't put much stock in the horror stories.
2. You should expect some redness (esp dotted / spotty redness at each pore where the hair was yanked out). The redness typically fades after a few hours (as much as 24 hrs). There might be some very minor swelling which will also be gone within a few hours.
3. There will be some discomfort during the process, but a good wax professional knows how to minimize it. You should feel just fine within seconds to minutes.
4. Make sure for a first time you go somewhere well recommended. This is not the time to get some cheapy wax from a seedy strip mall. You pay for experience, just like the difference in a haircut from a discount salon vs. somewhere a little more upscale. Having said that, there's no reason to go to the most chi chi place in the city. You should get decent results from an average place as long as you get a recommendation. There are plenty of salons reviewed on CA; I'd suggest you start there.
5. Save the home DIY kits for when you and your skin are more experienced. Trust me, I learned that the hard way :)
Ali de Bold
|Go Pro on Apr 15, 2009 @ 12:37 pm|
Mamaluv is right. Don't D.I.Y. I have been to many different places for waxing in the city and currently have one I really like. I go to Queens Quay Hair Design and Esthetic for waxing with Sarah. It's not fancy at all but Sarah is so sweet and she does a good job.
You shouldn't experience any bruising anywhere unless you go Brazilian and have really sensitive skin in which case you might be sore for a day or so.
There are a lot of great spas and salons that offer waxing, you just have to find one that you feel comfortable with that has reasonable pricing. I have also heard lots of good things about the waxing at 10 Spot Nail Bar.
|Thanks!!! on Apr 15, 2009 @ 04:11 pm|
Thanks so much for the tips ladies! You guys are so great! I was feeling like I was going to chicken out before, but now I think I'll go for it -- I'm so glad I asked!
|great advice! on Apr 16, 2009 @ 04:45 pm|
The ladies above had great advice! I never was much into waxing until I got my friend a job as an esthetician and she told me she would provide all my waxing for free! In any case, you can't put much stock in horror stories because it is person dependent. I have also found that what MissChickie said is right, go pro! All the best with the waxing! It is addictive once you find a person who does a good job that agrees with you and your skin!
|One thing to remember... on Apr 20, 2009 @ 03:26 pm|
That sounds so exciting!
We see a lot of Vacation Waxing done by first timers.
Hopefully whoever you go to will give you realistic expectations, but just in case:
The first time you wax the results usually only last for about two weeks before you start to get regrowth. The ones just under the skin and too short to be waxed won't come out but will start to poke through over the next couple of days. Hair has three stages of growth, each time you wax you start to get all the stages synced up, so the 4-5th time is when all three will come out and you are completely smooth and stay smooth for weeks. Waxing works best when it's a consistent commitment. That being said, everyone is different, so you could be completely smooth for a long time! Just don't be surprised if you start to get some growth pretty quickly.
Once you start waxing, it's pretty easy to appreciate the results. MissChickie gives great advice! Underarms are the best to get done. No bumpies or stubble and oh-so smooth!
Have so much fun!
|I didn't know... on Apr 20, 2009 @ 04:26 pm|
Wow, thanks so much for that great advice lorieil ... no one has actually ever told me that before, I had no idea! Its good to have an idea of how long its going to last. I really appreciate your help! Guess I will still pack a razor just in case! Thank you!!
|Waxing at Light Touch on Apr 21, 2009 @ 02:17 pm|
You HAVE to go to my girl Vanji at Light Touch. She is AMAZING!! I have been going to her for years. She is very clean, she uses top of the line products and best of all she is affordable.
Call her at 416-220-5799 she is in Toronto if that is near you.
|You are very welcome!! on Apr 24, 2009 @ 07:08 pm|
I always find it's easier to have happy clients if they have realistic expectations. Let me know how it goes.