on Feb 07, 2013 @ 05:23 pm|
I need some help in dressing well for work (actually dressing well in general, but we'll stick to work for now).
Can you girls think of any basics I should invest in and some 'looks' that are easy and flattering to pull off?
Any and all help will be appreciated :)
|pencil skirt & blazer on Feb 07, 2013 @ 07:32 pm|
Definitely invest in a good pencil skirt in charcoal grey/black and a matching blazer. You can wear them together or apart, and they are very versatile. If you're more a pants girl then do a dark long dress pant, you can wear that with pretty much any blouse or cardigan or coat combo and it'll look good.
Also closed-toe black pumps are a must! They class up any outfit instantly, and can be worn with almost everything.
|Blog article on Feb 07, 2013 @ 09:40 pm|
Alexandra wrote a fabulous article on this exact topic. If you haven't seen it you should check it out!
I agree 100% with the closed toe black heel. And some dress pieces from a suit (be it pant or skirt) that can be mixed and matched separately to create several outfits.
|the basics. on Feb 27, 2013 @ 06:30 pm|
You can't go wrong with a great blazer, trousers, blouses and some knits. Those basics will take you anywhere in the work place, and you have the luxury to mix and match with them for limitless looks. Not everyone likes the pencil skirt option so trousers are great and comfortable for women of any size.
I have some ideas here that you can check out, they are great for everyday wear but can be dressed up with accessories.
Ali de Bold
|Some ideas on Feb 27, 2013 @ 09:12 pm|
Everyone's given you some great advice. I find you get the most flexibility from your wardrobe if you have the standard basics and then use accessories to liven things up.
* White cotton dress shirt - love Club Monaco for those
* Flattering pants in black, grey, etc. (ditto)
* Black pumps (and ideally some boots too). - I like Cole Haan
* Pencil skirt - J Crew
* Good quality classic handbag - depends on your budget. I like Michael Kors
* A few knit sweaters that you can throw over what you are wearing - Try Aritzia, Banana Republic
* Good quality black blazer - Should be a light wool blend and fit well in your shoulders.
* Coloured tshirts that you can wear under a blazer, etc that flatter your skintone - H&M;is perfect for stocking up on these cheaply.
The fun stuff:
* Necklaces (these can be super cheap!). Get a nice variety of different styles, lengths and colours. - Joe Fresh, H&M;, Forever 21, etc etc.
* Scarves - I love J Crew for scarves (when they are on sale) but you can get these anywhere. Try to look for fun colours.
* Watch - can't go wrong with Michael Kors
* Bracelets - mix of cheap and better quality ones. Make your own arm party!
* Fun lipstick - I'm partial to bright colours but go with something you are confident wearing. Rimmel by Kate is a line of great colours that is really reasonably priced and has solid staying power.
Let us know what you get!
|Taking notes! on Feb 27, 2013 @ 11:48 pm|
Great question Becky!
Thanks Ali for the very specific list! I sure am taking notes! :)
I do love the classic look with a fun quirky twist and a pencil skirt is a must!!!