Freak accident


wendyroy
on Jun 24, 2016 @ 11:15 am

Last night I put a bag of microwaveable popcorn in.  I noticed it wasn't popping as it normally does, and when the time was up, the bag was only about half full.  I took it out and realized that half of the bag appeared wet, then noticed that the turntable in my microwave was wet.  Without thinking, I touched it...not my smartest move.  It turned out to be very hot butter...I'm not sure if I put the bag in upside down(which would have been difficult due to the way it's folded) or if there was a leak.  Burned three fingers...fortunately my microwave is above the sink, and my son was beside me.  I immediately ran my hand under cold water, and got my son to get me ice, followed by frozen aloe Vera leaves I keep frozen.  It seems like I have avoided blistering, but wow! It really hurt.  Fingers still sensitive, but not as bad as I anticipated.  What a crazy way to hurt myself.
 

11 Replies


KimberlyLowry
OUCH! on Jun 24, 2016 @ 11:26 am

Hope you're going to be ok. I think we all have made some silly mistake like this. I am forever forgetting to put on my oven mitts before I touch something in my oven.
Reply

prettyrainbow
. on Jun 24, 2016 @ 11:36 am

Oh gosh! It's a good thing you thought to relieve the burn quickly. The frozen aloe vera leaves were a smart idea. I hope your fingers are doing better.

P.S. - Milk is also great for soothing burns and it's something almost everyone has in the fridge, in case aloe vera isn't available.

Reply

KimberlyLowry
MILK? on Jun 24, 2016 @ 11:47 am

Really prettyrainbow? This is something I have never heard of. Good to know.
Reply

laura2423
. on Jun 24, 2016 @ 04:00 pm

I had the same thing happen to my popcorn before, I think it was a hole in the bag. I didn't burn myself though, I hope it heals quickly.
Reply

coultlee
. on Jun 24, 2016 @ 04:34 pm

thats good to know. Hope you are ok today. It's popcorn night at my house tonight! Yummy!
Reply

Robynbraye
Ouch! on Jun 24, 2016 @ 04:58 pm

That would be quite hot hey!!!
I have heard Vinegar or a Raw Potato to work too. Have never tested, just heard......
As a teenager working at McDonald's I got quite a few burns, i was always told to put pickles on them, worked very well.
Reply

prettyrainbow
. on Jun 24, 2016 @ 06:57 pm

@KimberlyLowry - My grandmother used milk quite often for kitchen burns. I googled it and it does seem legit! I thought it was something my grandmother had invented haha!

@Robynbraye - I've heard of the raw potato! The pickle is so interesting, yet funny at the same time. Hey, as long as it works! :)

Reply

prettyrainbow
. on Jun 24, 2016 @ 06:58 pm

@coultlee - Enjoy the popcorn but be careful! :)
Reply

DEANENE
June 25 2016 @0917 on Jun 25, 2016 @ 09:22 am

wendyroy hope your going to be o.k. great information chicks and coultlee just like prettyrainbow said enjoy the popcorn be careful
Reply

wisteriagirl
Thank You! on Jun 25, 2016 @ 09:44 am

I hope that you are alright! It was so thoughtful of you to post this even though you have three fingers that are burnt! You have also given ChickAdvisors a great lesson in safely cooking popcorn in the microwave. I had severe burns this year after making homemade mushroom soup. I was using an immersion blender before the soup and completely cooled...not the smartest thing that I have ever planned!! I was in so much pain that I called an ambulance! I recommend Polysporin Complete Ointment Heal-Fast Formula...I would have been left with a scar without this...it also helped to relieve the pain. All the best to you and your son!! @WisteriaGirl
Reply

Leave A Reply

Title:
Your Reply:
 

 

Join Our Newsletter

Stay in the loop for the latest news, contests, deals and more!


Recent Activity



Brkn_Angel added a new review for
Billy Bee Honey Mustard

kelx added a new review for
Yonka Masque N1

blubie has posted in the forum topic
dating


kelx has posted in the forum topic
Mask

kelx has posted in the forum topic
Natural health


kelx has posted in the forum topic
Frustrated

See All:  Reviews | Forums | Articles