Freak accident


wendyroy
on Jun 24, 2016 @ 11:15 am

Last night I put a bag of microwaveable popcorn in.  I noticed it wasn't popping as it normally does, and when the time was up, the bag was only about half full.  I took it out and realized that half of the bag appeared wet, then noticed that the turntable in my microwave was wet.  Without thinking, I touched it...not my smartest move.  It turned out to be very hot butter...I'm not sure if I put the bag in upside down(which would have been difficult due to the way it's folded) or if there was a leak.  Burned three fingers...fortunately my microwave is above the sink, and my son was beside me.  I immediately ran my hand under cold water, and got my son to get me ice, followed by frozen aloe Vera leaves I keep frozen.  It seems like I have avoided blistering, but wow! It really hurt.  Fingers still sensitive, but not as bad as I anticipated.  What a crazy way to hurt myself.
 

11 Replies


KimberlyLowry
OUCH! on Jun 24, 2016 @ 11:26 am

Hope you're going to be ok. I think we all have made some silly mistake like this. I am forever forgetting to put on my oven mitts before I touch something in my oven.
Reply

prettyrainbow
. on Jun 24, 2016 @ 11:36 am

Oh gosh! It's a good thing you thought to relieve the burn quickly. The frozen aloe vera leaves were a smart idea. I hope your fingers are doing better.

P.S. - Milk is also great for soothing burns and it's something almost everyone has in the fridge, in case aloe vera isn't available.

Reply

KimberlyLowry
MILK? on Jun 24, 2016 @ 11:47 am

Really prettyrainbow? This is something I have never heard of. Good to know.
Reply

laura2423
. on Jun 24, 2016 @ 04:00 pm

I had the same thing happen to my popcorn before, I think it was a hole in the bag. I didn't burn myself though, I hope it heals quickly.
Reply

coultlee
. on Jun 24, 2016 @ 04:34 pm

thats good to know. Hope you are ok today. It's popcorn night at my house tonight! Yummy!
Reply

Robynbraye
Ouch! on Jun 24, 2016 @ 04:58 pm

That would be quite hot hey!!!
I have heard Vinegar or a Raw Potato to work too. Have never tested, just heard......
As a teenager working at McDonald's I got quite a few burns, i was always told to put pickles on them, worked very well.
Reply

prettyrainbow
. on Jun 24, 2016 @ 06:57 pm

@KimberlyLowry - My grandmother used milk quite often for kitchen burns. I googled it and it does seem legit! I thought it was something my grandmother had invented haha!

@Robynbraye - I've heard of the raw potato! The pickle is so interesting, yet funny at the same time. Hey, as long as it works! :)

Reply

prettyrainbow
. on Jun 24, 2016 @ 06:58 pm

@coultlee - Enjoy the popcorn but be careful! :)
Reply

DEANENE
June 25 2016 @0917 on Jun 25, 2016 @ 09:22 am

wendyroy hope your going to be o.k. great information chicks and coultlee just like prettyrainbow said enjoy the popcorn be careful
Reply

wisteriagirl
Thank You! on Jun 25, 2016 @ 09:44 am

I hope that you are alright! It was so thoughtful of you to post this even though you have three fingers that are burnt! You have also given ChickAdvisors a great lesson in safely cooking popcorn in the microwave. I had severe burns this year after making homemade mushroom soup. I was using an immersion blender before the soup and completely cooled...not the smartest thing that I have ever planned!! I was in so much pain that I called an ambulance! I recommend Polysporin Complete Ointment Heal-Fast Formula...I would have been left with a scar without this...it also helped to relieve the pain. All the best to you and your son!! @WisteriaGirl
Reply

Leave A Reply

Title:
Your Reply:
 

 

Join Our Newsletter

Stay in the loop for the latest news, contests, deals and more!


Recent Activity