on May 31, 2010 @ 04:10 am|
All my life I have had thin dark hair, you could see my scalp always. I
recently noticed that the part on my head is getting wider and my hair
appears to be thinning. For as long as I can remember everytime I would
wash my hair so much would come out and more as i ran my fingers through
my hair. Lately I feel as if it is finally catching up to me and my
hair appears to be thinning. My boyfriend assures me it just looks that
way because my hair is thin and dark. Do you ladies shed? and if so does
it sometimes look like alot is coming out? How much is too much? I have
heard we are supposed to shed about 100- 150 hairs a day but what does
that even look like? I mean I don't think I could ever sit there and
count it all. Some balding is hereditary, but no one in my fam is
balding. I do think it may be because i absolutely do not eat healthy at
all. I drink no water always soda. I eat processed foods all day
everyday. Could that be the reason? Also what else can I do along with
changing my diet? What do you ladies use on your hair? Any and all info
and tips are deeply appreciated
|Diet, stress, poor health, genes,... on May 31, 2010 @ 08:57 am|
There are many reasons you could be experiencing hair loss. We've chatted about this before; check out this thread for a few ideas. I have also heard that people who are anemic are prone to hair problems - have you had your blood checked lately? If your diet is poor and you're prone to anemia, these are areas that can be treated.
|Eating habits on Jun 02, 2010 @ 12:17 pm|
I definitely think that it's your unhealthy eating habits that could be causing -atleast, it's not helping- your hair loss.
Since you don't want to just go cold-turkey with changing your eating habits, you should take small steps, to eventually be able to say you eat healthy!
Make SMALL goals! Don't push yourself too hard or you'll end up being discouraged and just stop trying to real your goals.
1. Take out 1 can of soda, bring in 1 glass of water. Try this for a few weeks - a month, and see if you can make it 2 or 3 glasses of water.
2. Reduce your amount of pre-packaged foods. If you eat a full can of Chef Boyardi on a daily basis, try just eating HALF a can instead.
3. Every day or two, try to eat a piece of fruit. I'm sure you're thinking the boring ones like apples, bananas, etc., but honestly, try some exotic fruits like grapefuits, pomegrates, mangos, fresh berries. You could even top it with sugar or whipped cream if pure fruit doesn't appeal to you.
4. Reduce salt! Salt is the #1 thing that makes you retain water, which adds on pounds and makes you look bloated! Try adding different spices, pepper, or parmasean cheese.
Just making slow, small steps in changing your eating habits will eventually teach your body (and tastebuds) that fresh food can taste just as great, if not better! I guarentee this will make you feel better about your overall health.
These are just my tips, I really hope they can help, or at least boost your motivation to eat healthier! :)
|Oops on Jun 02, 2010 @ 12:18 pm|
I meant "you SHOULDN'T" go cold-turkey, I wasn't saying YOU dont' want to. :)
|Thanks alot! on Jun 02, 2010 @ 02:36 pm|
I know it's got to be my diet, so i'm going to try your advice, i've been wanting to eat healthier for a while now, and my health should be number one and it hasnt been for a long time, since i've been so busy trying to start a business and also working. thanks alot everyone for your suggestions!
|Great! on Jun 02, 2010 @ 02:51 pm|
That's great! :) I really hope you take my advice! Healthy (or atleast, healthIER) eating is key!
|Get your thyroid checked on Jul 26, 2010 @ 03:52 pm|
Hair loss is a symptom, And even after 22 years on meds I still do have some loss but luckily also have thick hair that grows fast to make up for it!
|for hair loss on Jul 26, 2010 @ 08:27 pm|
Liquid Silica is very good for hair loss.Some people dont like the taste its quite gritty but it never bothered me.You will be surprised how quick your hair will grow out as well if you take it regular.
|I tried that on Jul 26, 2010 @ 11:19 pm|
to get better nails. But really couldnt make it a habit to drink. But I cant even remember to take a vitamin regularly :s
|Hair Problems on Jul 27, 2010 @ 10:42 pm|
You are right, it's very normal to lose about 100 or so hairs a day or so they say. When I saw your question I looked online and one website said you could lose even 1000 if all your hair growth was in the same cycle. You really should see a doctor if it's troubling you, quite a few websites say that hair loss can be linked to physical illness so it would be best to rule that out just to ease your mind. Some medications can cause you to lose hair too (birth control pills and anti-depressants are two I know of) and female and male hormones can wreak havoc on your hair cycles.
As your hair is dark, it will be a lot more noticeable when you see it lying around the house. My hair is black and it looks like I lose so much there shouldn't be any left on my head! Here's a couple of tips I can give you:
1. Don't pull your hair back too tightly if you put it in a ponytail or braid as the increased tension can pull it right out.
2. Use a good amount of conditioner when in the shower and comb it through the hair with a wide tooth comb. This helps to detangle the hair and makes it more manageable so that you won't be pulling on it too much when you comb it.
3. Try to eat a little bit healthier. It might be hard at first, but it will definitely help your hair problems. I'm almost 100% sure that it would'nt hurt, right?
Good luck with everything!