on May 19, 2011 @ 12:26 am|
As a busy mom for four and full-time nurse, like most, I always tend to take care of everyone else first and often do a rather poor job of taking care of me. The stats with heart disease concerning women in particular prove this. So many hats, so many daily demands. And sometimes, what seems to be insignificant turns out to be momumental.
|:( on May 19, 2011 @ 01:03 pm|
Thank you so much for sharing this!! I've fwd'ed the video to those I know ... you never know what will help someone wake up and take life and health more seriously. I'm so sorry for your friends family, it's so hard to lose someone like that, and especially hard when you feel it could have been prevented if he took it more seriously. I know someone just like that who left behind a young wife and child.
|Skin CA on May 19, 2011 @ 02:10 pm|
It's illogical, almost like typical teenage thinking that "bad things won't or can't happen to me" when millions of Americans pour out billions of dollars annually on the lottery because they think "good things can happen to me." It's such an easy thing to detect WITH REGULAR ASSESSMENTS. If you don't look closely at your skin on a regular basis, you won't detect changes, obviously. I watch closely, but always breath a huge sigh of relief after my dermatologist does his annual assessment of my skin & gives me the 'all clear." Bad things do happen, but it doesn't have to be a worst-case scenerio with skin cancer!! Thanks for your reply, Becky!
|good advice on May 19, 2011 @ 02:13 pm|
Great advice and an important reminder. Thanks for posting, Starla!
|Good reminder on May 19, 2011 @ 02:28 pm|
Thanks so much for posting this. I feel like many people know how harmful the sun is to our skin but we tend to push this information to the back of our heads or we are in denial and always think that skin cancer, etc won't happen to us. Thanks for this reminder as we prepare for the summer!
|Wear sunscreen! on May 19, 2011 @ 03:18 pm|
Even on cloudy days, sunscreen is essential. Did you know that everything that you don't like about your skin is caused by the sun? Find one that you like and wear it every day.
|I was surprised on May 22, 2011 @ 10:00 pm|
how many girls on this forum actually would take the risk of melenoma by geting the nails done with UV light. I highly doubt they are slathersing on the sunscreen before going. Hands can get cancer too!
Ali de Bold
|All good points! on May 24, 2011 @ 01:59 pm|
Apply sunscreen daily is a very easy thing to do. I don't get people though who avoid Dr appointments. It's like they don't want to hear anything bad, but being in denial never healed anyone. That's a really sad story!
Guppy - I wonder if people realize that about UV lights. It's a really good point.
|UV nail treatments on May 24, 2011 @ 02:09 pm|
@guppy - that's why I haven't done any of those treatments either! We often think of how aging leathery skin looks on our faces, necks or bosoms, but our hand skin can also betray premature aging!
|Our hands are the give away... on May 26, 2011 @ 12:40 am|
You're so right Mamaluv! Americans spend billions on looking youthful or improving issues with their bodies. In fact, in a 2010 Survey on Beauty, even with the state of the economy, 77% of women stated that their spending on skincare has either 'increased" or remained the same," showing that skincare remains a priority. And, over 20% of 50-59 year olds have sought the "help" of a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. However, there's not much "help" to be done for the hands once they start to give away your age. I've seen plenty of women, both inside my practice & out, nipped & tucked, but when you look at their hands, you always know! Every morning, when I apply my anti-aging regimen, I never forget about sunscreen for my hands. UVA rays (the deeply penetrating Aging light) does penetrate snow, clouds & glass plus causes hyperpigmentation. If you think about 80% of aging being caused by the sun (the other 20% genetics), how you treat all of your skin really does determine how you look!! Prevention: Please apply sunscreen and apply it generously. :)
|@ Starla on May 26, 2011 @ 10:22 am|
How often should we apply sunscreen? I usually just apply a skin moisturizer in the morning on my face and neck that has SPF 15 and that's about it for the day. Is that good enough?