American Apparel Nail Polish Reviews

Ranked #1132 out of 1413 in Nail Polish

April 30, 2016

This nail polish is a great price but it reflects in the wear. The nail polish doesn't last more than a day, even with 3 coats. There's also a bit of an alarming warning on the back of it containing ingredients known to cause cancer.

January 15, 2016

The polish lasts awhile, so I find it worth the price. Doesn't chip easily and dries fast.

November 15, 2014

I love these nail polishes!! The formula is so great, they are so opaque that all you really need is 1-2 coats max to get the colour on the bottle. The price is a bit steep for a nail polish, however they do go on sale quite often. The only downside to the AA nail polishes is the brush because it's kind of thin compared to the ones I'm used to.

January 05, 2012

I recently bought 5 nail polishes from American Apparel. Normally I don't buy beauty products from clothing stores, but there was an online coupon for 5 polishes for $15. Making each polish $3, when they are normally $9. I figured they were worth a try at that price. The colours I chose are:
Mouse - a slightly purple but more grey colour
Lipstick- a bright and classic red
Malibu Green- a tealish green colour
Coney Island- a bubblegum pink
Bronze Dash- a brown metallic (from their metallic collection)

These polishes are all free of DBP, toluene and formaldehyde.

I'd say for $9 they are only worth the price if there is a colour unlike any other polish colour from another brand in their collection. But for the $3 they were definitely worth it.

To start, I'll talk about the bottle and brush. I LOVE polish in a square container, much easier to store than round (like china glaze or OPI) and in my opinion just prettier :). The brush is decent. It is pretty small so you need 2-3 coats to get the streakiness to disappear, and the polish tends to collect on the stem of the brush and drip, so you must be careful when applying to really wipe the stem on the sides of the bottle or just watch out for it.

The actual polish is pretty good. I wore it without a base or top coat and it lasted almost a week without chipping, I'd say it could go longer but I removed it to put on another colour, not because it was chipping. I applied 4 coats total because the first 2 coats I didn't allow to dry fully (I was impatient) and so the next day I had to fix it up and I just put 2 more coats on top of each nail. Like I said, because of the brush you will need at least 2 coats, maybe even 3, to get the polish smooth and streak free. The polish separates a LOT (in the bottle). My polish had to be shaken up quite a bit to get it to one solid colour, and even then it wasn't completely solid, but it didn't affect the colour on my nails.

The main reason I say it isn't worth the $9 is because of the brush. The polish is actually great, but I know a lot of the colours they offer are similar to colours from other brands that may be cheaper, or have better brush quality.

I heard from others' that the polish can stain, I didn't have this problem (even without a base coat) but everyone is different, so especially with dark colours, use a base coat!

Overall, this polish is great and if there is a colour you love, pay the $9 and you won't be disappointed!