• Big Girl by Kelsey Miller
Good

Big Girl by Kelsey Miller Reviews

Ranked #123 out of 960 in Books

February 28, 2016

Wow! Kelsey Miller wrote a truly revolutionary book when she penned "Big Girl; How I gave up dieting & got a life". This book is honest, engaging and completely eye opening. By the end of the book, I saw patterns in myself that I never expected to be confronted with upon starting to read it. I knew this book was going to talk about food, specifially, our relationship with food as women in a diet obsessed culture. I had no idea Kelsey would have me addressing my relationship with my mother and her relationship with alcohol, by sharing her own similar story in the book. Finally, I was shocked to see that not only was I not alone in my need to constantly be distracted, but that maybe it was more problematic than I had previously believed. I highly recommend this book to everyone, but something tells me it will most speak to women because as Ms. Miller writes, "I've never read a male celebrity profile that opens with a line about how pleasantly surprising it is that he ordered whole milk in his latte." It may be getting worse for men but our society has traditionally targetted women with its sexist, misogynistic and extremely narrow definition of beauty.

I knew I would be blogging about this book, but I had no idea that would involve me telling some private parts of my own life story. I found myself making notes in the margain about quotes that resonated so deeply with me, I wanted to be able to read them again. Continued on my blog at MsLindsayM.com

January 28, 2016

This is such a good alternative to all of the diet books and other nonsense floating around that tells us that are bodies aren't good enough, or that we should do something drastic to alter them. This is a very body positive book, without outwardly screaming at us to love ourselves and #effyourbodystandards. It is a book about a young woman's struggle with eating and weight, and while the subject matter can often be sad or heartbreaking, Miller writers with ease and humour. It's a very easy book to read, but even easier to relate to-- which is almost frightening. I almost feel like she is alternate universe me. I can't help but recommend this book to anyone who has ever struggled with their weight or with a skewed sense of "diet".