e.l.f. Cosmetics Matte Lip Color Reviews

Ranked #315 out of 1019 in Lipstick

August 26, 2016

I bought this the other day at Walmarts,, they are starting to sell e.l.f. products. I bought the colour Tea Rose. They only had 3 colours, so l did not have a big selection. I really liked this matte lipstick it keep its colour and stayed on my lips, was not sticky. I put a gloss over the lipstick, to make it creamy. Good lipstick for the price.

June 22, 2015

I have this in Natural, and absolutely love it! I always expect a super drying formula with matte lipsticks, but that wasn't the case with this. It feels moisturising and the colour payoff is just beautiful. It is such an amazing lip stick for the price. Can't ask for more!!!

June 20, 2015

I love ELF! This is another great product from them. This lipstick is completely matte with no shimmer/glitter. You should first prime lips with a lip balm and a lip pencil (like the Urban Decay 24/7 lip liner in Ozone) to make it last as long as possible. Or else, any matte product tends to be drying and will show any unsightly lines in your lips. The lip exfoliating product from ELF can also help with that. The packaging for this lipstick is very nice - it's actually a retractable pencil. Some of the shades can look very natural as if it's your own lip colour, but better. I like to top off lipstick with gloss, but you don't need to. The colour is very long-lasting and goes on smooth. It will feather, like most lipsticks do, after eating and drinking. But, using lip liner and lip balm beforehand will help with that and the drying factor. I highly recommend this! And will purchase again. For 1.50$ during a 50% off sale, this is definitely worth it!

June 14, 2015

LOVE! These lip colors are phenomenal. I originally tried the e.l.f. Lock It Lip Pencil, which is absolutely fantastic, but that's a separate review. These matte lip colors are packaged the same way, so I decided to try one. I got the color "Tea Rose." It's a beautiful color and a beautiful product, The packaging is quality, they're easy to apply, matte, long-lasting, don't feather, just perfect. For the price, these are 110% worth a try.

February 08, 2015

E.l.f.'s matte lip color is a product with an interesting design. It is, in fact, lipstick, but it's in the form of a retractable pencil, which makes for more precise application without the need for lip liner or a lipstick brush. Also, as evidenced by the name, this lip product does not go on glossy and shiny. This might be a turn-off to some folks, but I personally don't always want my lips to be shiny. It feels sort of like a cream eye shadow pencil/crayon when it goes on and it's definitely not moisturizing (yes, I've put eye shadow on my lips before). It's more of a silky, powdery dry. While this might sound odd, it also smells and tastes kind of nice, too. And for those of us who have boyfriends that aren't nuts about winding up wearing lipstick after a kiss, this is a lovely product. It's kiss-proof (and also not very smudgy), and your guy may not even notice the presence of color if it's one of the more subtle shades.

This lip color goes on quite smoothly, and it's not sticky either. The colors aren't tremendously intense, but with the shades I chose, I wasn't necessarily going for bold. I have the shades Praline and Rich Red. Praline is a neutral-rose color that perks up the lips with a subtle hint of color (it's a little darker than typical natural lip color), and would go nicely with neutral eye shadow. On the other hand, Rich Red's color swatch can be a little misleading. The shade on the box and on the stick itself is a dark red, but when applied, it's actually a bright primary red. It seems that shine can help fire-engine red lipstick really "pop" and it does seem like Rich Red is a little subdued without a glossy finish. But not in a bad way - more like if you put on normal lipstick and kissed a tissue to remove the excess. If you'd prefer red with a little shine, e.l.f.'s Moisturizing Lipstick in Velvet Rope might work a little better. If necessary, you could easily apply some clear lip balm or lip gloss over the matte colors for a more "traditional" lipstick feel.

Overall, I think this is a really cool and unique product. I've never seen matte lip color before and it works quite nicely. Once again, e.l.f. comes through with a fantastic price: only $3.00. So hey, if you wind up not liking it, you won't be out more than a couple dollars. If you're not big on shiny lips, but still want to wear lip color, this is the product for you.

February 06, 2015

e.l.f. Matte Lip Color is a good find for the price. I bought this from e.l.f.'s website for $3, so price wise you really can't get much better than that. It is a dryer lipstick than a non-matte lipstick, but that is to be expected. In my experience, this product goes on best on freshly exfoliated and moisturized lips. If you have any dry or cracked areas on your lip, this product just builds up in the creases and makes the imperfections even more obvious, rather than covering it up. I would also recommend that if you're going to wear this when you're out for an extended period of time, do yourself a favor and bring it along with you. You're definitely going to need to touch up this lipstick, as it keeps getting drier and crack while you're wearing it, and that doesn't look so hot. So overall, for the price its great, just make sure you're well moisturized and have it nearby!

August 26, 2014