Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer Reviews

Ranked #129 out of 322 in Primer

November 27, 2016

I received a sample of this in an order from Sephora.

Let me start off by saying that I had a pretty bad experience with a previous Hourglass primer, so I went into this with fairly low expectations and a sense of hesitation. Hourglass is a very expensive brand, but so far the samples I've received have been very hit and miss.

The first thing that struck me was the consistency of the product. It's extremely odd and completely unlike any face primer I've tried. It's very thin and slippery, so a small amount spreads quite far. I can't say I'm a fan of the texture, because it honestly kind of feels like I'm spreading margarine across my face, so I immediately began getting nervous that it was going to break me out like so many other primers do. Surprisingly enough, it didn't!

Aside from its very strange consistency, this product actually performed quite well. After I'd put it all over my face, it kind of felt like I'd put on a thin layer of lotion. Most primers have that smooth, silicone texture, but because this is silicone-free it felt more moisturizing. I do suffer from dry patches at the moment, and I found that my makeup went on very smoothly and remained in place throughout the day.

The only issue I seemed to have with this product was towards the tops of my cheekbones, after I'd applied my under eye concealer. I use extra moisturizers under my eyes at night (vaseline, for one), and I think this was fighting a war with the different textures of those moisturizers. Everything was kind of balling up in that area, so I had to kind of brush off little pieces of product before I could achieve a smooth application.

Other than that, I thought that this performed well. The texture is odd and it seems to disagree with my under eye moisturizers, but otherwise it does its job. I could see oily skin having trouble with this, since it does feel somewhat greasy. Perhaps try it before buying it.

Overall, I would recommend this primer. It's one of the better ones I've tried for my very sensitive skin with dry patches.

April 23, 2016

I like this primer from the basis that it feels nice on the skin when it's first applied and doesn't leave your face feeling greasy or sticky; however, I don't feel like this primer is anything exceptional to justify the price. In the summer when my skin is more oily prone, by mid-day the makeup on certain parts of my face is starting to melt away.

January 16, 2016

I have been looking for a primer that makes my skin feel like butter! This is it. It has a beautiful lotion-like feeling and my foundation looks amazing. I tried others but nothing compares to this one. I just wish it had sunscreen built in as it does in the United States, however, I understand this is not the fault of Hourglass but our country's rules and regulations.

November 14, 2015

I had to try this product after reading so many rave reviews about it on the beauty blog circuit. The texture of this primer is absolutely amazing. It glides over the skin so beautifully and honestly feels like silk. It noticeably improves the wear of my foundation and makes my skin feel smooth and hydrated. My only hesitation about this product is the price; I'm just not convinced that there isn't another product out there that offers similar results for a better value... but I'm determined to keep looking. Highly recommended for those looking for a super effective gorgeous primer and don't mind the hefty price tag.

August 09, 2015

Not the best primer I've used, but I wouldn't say it was bad. It really does leave your skin feeling very velvety and let's makeup glide on easily. It's pretty pricey, but I have this in the exclusive Sephora size that's 2fl oz, and it comes out to around the same as other primers. One concern I do have is that sometimes it can come out too liquidy/wet. Not sure if that's normal, but it's happened to me multiple times I've bought this product.

May 22, 2015

The product doesn't do a whole lot for me, the packaging is a huge pain and it's hard to get all of the product out. I felt like it didn't last very long either.

April 07, 2015

This is one of the better primers. I find some days it works better than others. A little goes a long way. I guess it's a good price but I hope I can get it cheaper somewhere. I would Definately recommend this. I haven't used this in the Summer yet so will have to see.

April 03, 2015

This is the mother of all primers, it's about the best you can get! I have it in the jumbo 2 oz size and it will last me for years!!!

November 21, 2014

I am prone to some superficial blemishes on my face, especially while I'm PMSing, so I am always looking for a product that will prep my face for the application of BB cream (during the week) and foundation (for those nights out). This primer is the best I've ever used; it does much more than extend the life of your make up application. After applying, my skin is visibly smoother (and to the touch!); the primer has oil control, but will also soothe those dry patches I sometimes get. Blemishes appear less red and I find that any product I put on top glides on.

While it is a little pricey (~$60 CAD), the good news is there is a travel size that is half the size of the regular one and also exactly half the cost (so you're not incentivized to buy the big one if you are on a budget). I have sensitive skin so I am very careful of what I put on my face. This is a make up essential for me and I swear by it.

P.S- before you put on a foundation or BB cream, make sure to wait a few minutes to let your skin absorb the primer :)