Laura Mercier Foundation Primer Oil-Free Reviews

Ranked #389 out of 595 in Foundation

This lightweight, water-based primer creates a smooth, invisible layer that acts as a buffer between the skin and makeup. Specialized for oily, sensitive, and acne-prone skin types, its high water content soothes surface dehydration around active blemishes.

Size: 1.7 oz

November 23, 2015

very expensive and for a product that is oil free I found it to be very oily.

November 23, 2015

Laura Mercier Foundation Primer Oil-Free;

I was not impressed with this foundation by Laura Mercier, I found it did not work.
There was no visible improvement to the face and application of makeup.

Over priced product from sephora......

Though it was oil free only benefit,
it clumped up, my makeup did not stay put

My foundation did not glide on any easier.

Since smashbox photo primer, hard to compete, this one was a lot worse!!!

Clumped up, was not smooth on the face, did not apply gently enough, made my foundation WORSE not better

April 22, 2015

This is the best foundation primer I have ever tried! I have very oily skin so my makeup slides off usually half way through the day. With this primer I can go all day and into the evening without having to reapply all of my makeup. You don't need to use much and it absorbs faster than my moisturizer.

March 25, 2015

I never used a foundation primer until a Sephora beauty consultant suggested it would make my foundation go on much smoother. This product goes on light and smooth and a little bit goes a long way. I was a bit hesitant at first due to the price ($40) but i'm glad I purchased it.

October 25, 2014

I first got the foundation primer as part of a starter kit from Laura Mercier. The primer makes my face very smooth and gives my face a light glow. Very easy to apply foundation or tinted moisturizer after applying the primer. The best primer that I have tried so far. The consistency of the product is perfect and makes it easy to apply to the face. Would not hesitate to purchase this product again.

June 15, 2014

I never got the foundation primer idea. I mean, I realized that it does make a smoother palette for your foundation, but I never felt that any primers can actually make my foundation stay on longer. Until I tried the Laura Mercier primer. I could not believe how my foundation remained in place, and flawless! It even lasted to the next day! (no judging!) It goes on very sheer and the texture isn't greasy at all,so you really don't feel like you are wearing another layer. I wouldn't use any other primer.

February 22, 2014

I love this primer. I only need a tiny amount, it goes on evenly, and works well to mattify my skin before I apply the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer.

February 19, 2014

This product carries a heavy price tag but works like a dream!
There are alternatives (I also really like the Nars Oil Free Primer) but this works best!

November 21, 2011

A few people have asked me about face/foundation primers. Specifically, "what does it do?"

Now last week may answer would have been "no idea". But just because I don't care about something, doesn't mean I won't put in the time to find out. Now I have the answer.

I consulted my go-to at Holt Renfrew, a random at Sephora, and the Clinique woman at The Bay. I also Yahoo'd and Google'd.

Then it gets even better. I went out and got myself the "Top 5". Not my list, I think it was In Style's. I have a stack of magazine clippings full of useful and useless knowledge. In the interest of full disclosure, the Laura Mercier one was gifted. I'm a big Laura Mercier fan and got some perks a month ago.

Foundation primer is basically a pre-step, which to me implies it's not necessary; unlike powder, which is a required step in order to put your best face forward.

The most straightforward definition of a primer is that is a specific-duty moisturizer. That specific duty being to fill in pores and lines to create the smoothest surface for your foundation or powder to rest.

Yes, it's that simple.

Is it good for you? The experts side-stepped the question by saying it's best to use a primer that is free of perservatives and chemicals, oil-free and preferably mineral based.

My advice, if you use foundation already, then you should absolutely use a primer. It will create a healthy barrier between your skin and your makeup and increase its longevity. See below.

If you do not use foundation, then don't. Just don't.

Hence I will file this post under "Skip it".

But I'm no expert - at least not one that works in beauty. I prefer to have beauty work for me.

For those that want a primer, let me break down my top 3:

1. Laura Mercier's Oil-Free Foundation Primer

It's lightweight and water-based. I found it glided on my skin and didn't feel heavy.

I'll review the other two too.

February 01, 2010

I don't really know how to rate this product. I bought it a while back when everyone was hyping about it. The texture is gel like, very light, easy to spread and has a slight flowery/herbal-ish smell to it. It spreads across the face and absorbs really quickly. I've tried this both with mineral/powder foundation and liquid. I didn't find much difference using this primer. I think it's suppose to be filled with antioxidants, vitamins etc. I do however, find that it moisturizes my skin a little. I sort of gave up on this since i'd prefer a silicone base to really create a smooth canvas and sort of create a barrier between my skin and make up. My mom has skin that's a bit on the dryer side so i gave it to her. She enjoyed it since it gives her skin a bit of moisture before her make up application. I think if you use this for a long time, it may give your skin benefits, but as a primer, i don't see the difference it makes. I love love almost all of Laura Mericer products, but this one is not a must.

happy6400 added a new review for
Honey Nut Cheerios

debrar67 added a new review for
Honey Nut Cheerios

debrar67 earned the Food & Drink Guru badge

j.beauty has posted in the forum topic
Top 5 AFFORDABLE makeup brands!!

debrar67 added a new review for
Dove White Beauty Bar

BigAl added a new review for
Dairy Queen DQ Cakes

BigAl earned the Food & Drink Guru badge

wendyroy has posted in the forum topic
Christmas