Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden Reviews

Ranked #8 out of 1016 in Books

Publisher's description:
We follow Sayuri from her childhood in an impoverished fishing village, where in 1929, she is sold to a representative of a geisha house, who is drawn by the child's unusual blue-grey eyes. From there she is taken to Gion, the pleasure district of Kyoto. She is nine years old. In the years that follow, as she works to pay back the price of her purchase, Sayuri will be schooled in music and dance, learn to apply the geisha''s elaborate makeup, wear elaborate kimono, and care for a coiffure so fragile that it requires a special pillow. She will also acquire a magnanimous tutor and a venomous rival. Surviving the intrigues of her trade and the upheavals of war, the resourceful Sayuri is a romantic heroine on the order of Jane Eyre and Scarlett O'Hara.

February 02, 2017

I have always had an interest in historical fiction but this book sat on my to be read list for awhile. I picked it up a couple of weeks ago and read it in a couple of days. The main character has a way of describing her story that keeps me wanting to read more. I would recommend this book to anyone.

November 29, 2016

I found this book at a second hand shop and from first glance it caught my attention.

As soon as I got home, I picked up this book and was instantly absorbed into the story. From the very first sentence you want to know more about the house, family, the girls, and all the other characters/ objects that the author decided to write about.

I would recommend this book to everyone and have.

October 08, 2016

This is one of my all time favorite books. I first read it when I was in highschool and read it Again many times ever since. The story is realistic, you really get attached to the character and it's different from the other books. I really recommand it.

August 19, 2016

Loved the book and the movie. I highly recomend this book. It is a topic that has not been writen about often, and is really well done. If you like historical fiction you will probably like this book.

January 23, 2016

One of my favorite books. Make sure to read this if you really enjoy reading historical! It really taught me a lot about the geaisha and maiko culture back then.

December 16, 2015

I really loved this book. It was a tiny bit slow at times, but what book isn't? The story drew you in, as did the characters. The book was far, far better than the movie.

November 24, 2015

This is one of my favorite book since I was young. The book was well written and although its fictional you get to learn the background on how Japanese Geisha lived and their daily lifestyle. A must read. The movie was good as well but nothing beats the book.

November 16, 2015

This book was excellently written, I saw the movie but I loved the book I've read it twice already!

July 29, 2015

I absolutely love this book. I saw the movie and thought it was okay. So when I saw the book at a local bookstore, I had to pick it up. The book is so much better than the movie and it just draws you in. I know I've read it at least 3 times already.

April 03, 2015

Love it, it's even better then the movie and I would happily re read it