Good

Prismacolor Scholar Pencils Reviews

Ranked #308 out of 987 in Misc

September 29, 2016

My mom bought me these pencils for Christmas, along with an adult colouring book. Although I already had some very old pencil crayons lying around, it was nice to receive a brand new package of something of a higher quality.

I have the 24 pack, which contains everything from pink and purple, to blues, greens, yellows, and more. My biggest gripe about this particular colour selection is that it only contains one pale pink and no bright pink. It also contains a few very similar shades of yellow and orange, where I feel they could have added something different. There's also only a very pale grey, which is almost too pale to use, and if I want something darker, I have to use my black pencil and refrain from pressing too hard.

Colour selection aside, the quality of these pencils is much better than something like a Crayola. The colours are smooth and pigmented, and the pencils themselves have a kind of creaminess in terms of their texture. They are not at all dry, like other brands, which I think really contributes to having a better-looking end result when I'm colouring. You can absolutely see the difference between these and other pencils.

The price is a bit high, but I suppose that's to be expected from a brand that's used more for professional drawing. I do feel that they're worth it, though I wish I didn't have to look elsewhere for particular colours.

January 06, 2016

I've heard amazing things about the Prismacolor brand, but part of me was a little disappointed as the leads broke quite a lot. I later read online that this is a frequent problem with all brands of pencils as they get dropped in transit, so frustrating.

However, there is definitely something to what they say about Prismacolor, I found the pigment to be a lot cleaner and nicer than pencils I've used in the past and now I don't think I can go back! Look at how bright the colors are in the drawing I posted, even on my crappy sketchbook paper.

There's a trick you can use to help get your pencil leads back to unbroken inside. Just google bake coloured pencils!