The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins Reviews

Ranked #1 out of 960 in Books

Publisher's Description:
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

November 15, 2016

I enjoyed the series a lot, especially the first two books. The third one was less interesting, but the storyline did carry through pretty well. There were a few things that didn't quite add up, and there were points in the books that I disliked, but it is a very good series.

October 13, 2016

When I bought the trilogy, I did not leave my house until all 3 books were done. This is a very easy read, but still very captivating and engaging. I couldn't wait to watch the movies after reading these. Love love love.

September 28, 2016

I agree with another reviewer that the writing is quite mediocre. However, it is readable for grade 5 and up. I did like it in the sense that it was a nice and easy fast read. It was a good story, if not a simple story. I did enjoy the movies better than the books which is totally opposite for me. I always like the book better.

It did give me a good lead to my own imagination though. As I was reading, I could picture the world on my own with ease in my head, and watch it in my minds eye.

It wasn't one of my favorite series in that "genre" but I do think it is more for the younger generation.

September 06, 2016

As much as people will try to deny it, the first book and subsequent film is a definite ripoff of the Japanese film Battle Royale. There are simply too many similarities to be a coincidence.

That's not to say that it's a bad book, or that its sequels are poor, but the very fact that they are not unique makes them immediately suffer. Additionally, the writing quality is simply mediocre, which is something that becomes more and more apparent upon a second and third read-through.

Because the element of romance in these books is such a common trope in other things -- with two boys vying for the heart of one strong, independent heroine -- it's the action scenes and themes of political tyranny and uprising which will have to set this series apart from others. In that respect, I think it does a fair job, with pacing being its strong suit.

This is definitely not the worst young adult series that exists, but it's also far from the best. At the very least, it may encourage young folk to question how their government works and if changes should be made to improve it.

August 29, 2016

The first novel is enjoyable, the second not so much, and the third is good except for the epilogue. It's a nice series with good characters and definitely worth checking out if you still haven't wondered what the hype about this YA series is all about.

Updated On: November 25, 2016

Book 1 Review (Spoiler Alert):

While I wasn't fond of the narrative style, I did enjoy the book more than I thought I would. I quickly learned what the world was like and how the Hunger Games worked, and once the games began it didn't take long for me to be immersed in the environment of the story.

One scene was a bit of a shocking and off-putting experience to me, but that was probably because I felt that it was a bit risky to put in a young adult novel. This scene was when Cato was tortured by the muttations. The other deaths set a different feel for the novel, so this one felt out of place compared to the others. Although it was an uncomfortable scene, it was also a memorable one even though it felt out of place among the rest.

This is definitely the better book of the series. The build up of the romance was slow enough for it to not interfere with the survival aspect of the story, and the characters were written well enough so that I cared for them as the games progressed. The book also moved in such a way that it was not a bore to go through, and once it was done I was ready to read the next one.

Although the other books are not as good, The Hunger Games series is still a worthwhile read. The themes that emerge later on are good ones to think through, and the plot drives the story in such a way that it deserves a read even if only to find out what happens to the characters and the world in the end.

August 18, 2016

The Hunger Games was one of my favorite series to read. Suzanne Collins captured the moments perfectly between the characters. The softcover versions are a little more affordable than the hardcover but I couldn't wait for the softcover editions to come out to read/own them. If you're looking for a series that will keep you on the edge of your seat, I would recommend reading this one. The movies don't do the books enough justice.

August 18, 2016

I loved this series, even though i'm in my mid 30s i found it engaging and relevant. The characters are easy to like and have depth, and the story line is mature enough to keep adult interest.

July 22, 2016

I read these books for the first time a couple summers ago and couldn't put them down. I have read them again since and they are still just as good. The characters are likeable and relatable. I have recommended this series to so many people and will probably end up reading them again at some point.

July 01, 2016

I was hesitant to read these books at first. I am glad I did! I think it took me 2 weeks to read all 3. I couldn't put them down! I highly recommend reading them. Suzanne Collins is an amazing writer! I have added these to my book collection and will read them again and again. I even bought all the movies! However, I must say the books are better than the movies.

June 25, 2016

awesome book, but really scary at the same time you can't stop reading. I have read the hunger games series over five times and I only discovered this last year.