The King's Speech (2010)

The King's Speech (2010) Reviews

Ranked #895 out of 970 in DVD

After the death of his father King George V (Michael Gambon) and the scandalous abdication of King Edward VIII (Guy Pearce), Bertie (Academy Award winner Colin Firth) who has suffered from a debilitating speech impediment all his life, is suddenly crowned King George VI of England. With his country on the brink of war and in desperate need of a leader, his wife, Elizabeth (Helena Bonham Carter), the future Queen Mother, arranges for her husband to see an eccentric speech therapist, Lionel Logue (Academy Award winner Geoffrey Rush). After a rough start, the two delve into an unorthodox course of treatment and eventually form an unbreakable bond. With the support of Logue, his family, his government and Winston Churchill (Timothy Spall), the King will overcome his stammer and deliver a radio-address that inspires his people and unites them in battle.

Based on the true story of King George VI, the Academy Award-winning THE KING'S SPEECH follows the Royal Monarch's quest to find his voice.

April 27, 2015

The Kings Speech is a fantastic film. Acting is so well done, movie kinda sucks you in. Really, really good. I would definitely recommend to watch the movie.

August 31, 2012

Beautiful and insightful. I could watch it over and over. Can't help but smile when I think of it. A great confidence booster!

June 07, 2011

I recently watched this movie with the mister. While the premise of the movie didn't entice me when I had first heard of it, the Oscar buzz put it squarely on my radar. It doesn't hurt that it stars two of my all-time favourites Colin Firth and Helena Bonham-Carter, nor that it naturally feeds into my wee obsession with all things Royal Family.

Looking at it at face value, this is the story of a man who overcomes stuttering. There are other subplots to be sure, but it's a pretty bland idea. That's why it was all the more shocking how deeply I enjoyed this movie.

To put it simply, the acting is sublime. I cried at the end--cried! (I'm kind of a weepy movie watcher though, so take that as a qualifier) My husband, an otherwise Bruce Willis or Will Smith fan, sat through it all the way and didn't complain once. This too is quite shocking.

In retrospect, I kind of love that the story is plain potatoes when it's served with the rich Chateaubriand of acting here. Colin Firth, Helena Bonham-Carter, and Geoffrey Rush prove the worthiness of their megawatt reputations and mile-long list of awards.

I highly recommend this movie!

March 14, 2011

I just saw this film in theaters over the weekend, and I was very pleased! I particularly thought that Geoffrey Rush's performance (speech therapist) was incredible, and Colin Firth's Oscar winning performance was memorable as well. Rush really gained my attention in this film however--his charisma really shined through, and he brought a subtle comedic element to an otherwise 'dramatic' production.

Synopsis:
2011's Oscar winner- King's Speech is the story of King George VI and his unexpected claim to the throne. It follows his relationship with a speech therapist, who eventually helps the king overcome his speech impediment (for the most part).