We would like to send you notifications on the latest Product Review Club offers.

Who should I go to for a Retin-A prescrption?


To my regular doctor or my dermatologist..?

Jan 12, 2012 @ 01:53 pm

8 Replies

Ali de Bold

Skincare issue

If it's a skincare issue probably your dermatologist. A lot of skincare products have retinol in them so you may not need a prescription unless you have a specific skin condition that needs extra TLC.
Jan 12, 2012 @ 01:58 pm


If you want to go to a dermatologist you will have to get a referral from your family doctor to see one, at least that's what you have to do here in BC.
Jan 12, 2012 @ 06:28 pm

Family Physician

Your family physician can prescribe Retin-A Cream/Gel no problem. It's probably a lot quicker than getting into a dermatologist depending on your area. :)
Jan 12, 2012 @ 11:19 pm

Your Dr

should be able to prescribe it to you. I just asked my family Dr and she
wrote me out a scrip right away. How ever if your having big time
problems you should ask your Dr to send you to see a dermatologist.

Jan 13, 2012 @ 08:36 am

I think....

you should speak to your GP first and then if there's a specific skincare issue they will refer you onward.
Jan 13, 2012 @ 03:53 pm


My friend just suggested I try Retin-a. But my insurance won't cover it.
Feb 08, 2019 @ 03:01 am


You would definitely have to go to a dermatologist. But have you tried any products like Roc or other drugstore brands that contain retinol? You should always start low until your skin can tolerate a higher doctors prescription of retin a. Some people's skin are so sensitive they can not even tolerate higher strengths.
Feb 08, 2019 @ 12:24 pm


Id get opinions from both doctor and a dermatologist
Feb 08, 2019 @ 04:16 pm

Leave A Reply