We would like to send you notifications on the latest Product Review Club offers.

Changing my name


This is probably the most difficult process I have ever gone through. (If you can help. PLEASE DO!!). My husband and I got married Oct 2007. We had a small wedding in Vegas, it was planned and had my closest friends there. I had decided I did not want to change my name so when they asked If i was taking his name, I said no. Once we had out actual wedding I wanted to take his name. Well, I have been trying to work on the process. I was told that I take my marriage certificate into the SS Office with my drivers licensee, but the issue is that it has my maiden name on it, not his. When I called, they sent me to my local court house, well the court house sent me to the clerk's office, then the clerk's office sent me back to the SS Office which they state I need to talk to the court house who said I may need an attorney and a court case which the Clerk Office will help me with. OK SERIOUS WTF? I'm exhausted already. I am wondering if all this run around is worth the stress! Wish I didn't love this man so much to go through all this I'll tell ya that much. Now, can anyone help me out there? lol pleaseee?
Apr 14, 2009 @ 06:17 pm

5 Replies


Check out this thread

hey crazyinlove,

not sure if this helps but i started a similar thread a little while ago: http://www.chickadvisor.com/chickchat/general/would-you-change-your-name-ifwhen-you-get-married.html

I guess the process really depends on the law which depends on where you live. changing your name shouldn't be this difficult, although i've heard some places are very hard to do this. i think with a valid marriage certificate, it should be enough to proof you are married to this man.

where do you live?
Apr 14, 2009 @ 11:13 pm

Get A Lawyer

My mother divorced before i was born. My brother, 3 years older than me had my fathers last name. Messy divorce and my mother wanted my brother to have her last name and we never had contact with out father. At age 18 my brother found out that somehow he still had my fathers last name when he applied for university. He went round and round and finally hired a lawyer who solved his problem with a single 1 hour court date and $800.00 dollars. This was in New Mexico in 1998 so pricing and difficulty may have changed.
Apr 15, 2009 @ 01:13 am
Ali de Bold

Wow that's ridiculous!

I'm surprised it is so difficult to change your name in some states. In your shoes, I'd probably not bother after all of that, though I understand why you want to.
Apr 15, 2009 @ 12:43 pm


My husband and I were married in October 2008. We filled out the
marriage license paperwork prior to the ceremony. My maiden name is on
the certificate. However, I had full intentions of taking his name (I
have it now). It only makes sense that your cert would have your
maiden name b/c its filled out before the name change process
commences. Once our county clerk's office had the official marriage
license, I took a certified copy of it w/ me to the SS office and they
easily got the ball rolling for me. The SS office was just about the
only easy place for me. All the other places where my name needed
changing were a big pain in the a$$.

Maybe you're having problems b/c of the amount of time that has elapsed
since the marriage license was certified? I did the name change
process in the following 2 mos or so after the wedding.
Apr 15, 2009 @ 10:14 pm


That's bulls*** !!! If its something you really want now, you should wait it out and pay the extra money.

I got married in July 2007 and was going on a trip and needed a
passport shortly after// well it cost me double to get the certificate
fast //as well as the passport to come fast too.

I'm sorry to hear you're having so many problems, my hope for you is
that you get someone in one of those offices that realizes what a
stupid mess this is and fixes it.
Apr 18, 2009 @ 07:11 pm

Leave A Reply