Traveling within Canada with a Toddler


I'm going back home to Ontario from Edmonton for my sister in laws wedding at the end of August. It doesn't say on Air Canada website that I require my son's birth certificate but it's recommended. This normally wouldn't be a problem but I can't find his birth certificate and might have to replace it, in doing that it's going to be mailed out to me and of course there's the looming Canada post lock out. Have any of you chicks travelled with a minor and just given two pieces of ID (health card and SIN) and had no issues? The travel agent said two pieces of government issued ID should be fine, but I just want to be certain.
Jul 11, 2016 @ 12:55 am

9 Replies


Travelling within canada with toddler

I do travel lots and believe me all i have its childs healthcare card, i never had to bring birth certificate just a card . I know it says 2 pieses of id but my newborn didnt not have anything except bc healthcard . As soon at it says childs name and age you should be fine
Jul 11, 2016 @ 02:03 am


Maybe just go to the hospital and request a write up of the birth etc, even have your doctor sign; that may work.
Jul 11, 2016 @ 02:24 am


Thanks guys!
@pooskin I have his SIN card and his health card. I just didn't want to be told those weren't good enough as we are boarding. I always get anxiety about things like that. But it's good to know that it's enough.
@Irememberu thanks for the advice!
Jul 11, 2016 @ 02:50 am


Call the airline
Jul 11, 2016 @ 05:05 am


Are you travelling alone with your son? When I travelled with my kids as a single mom, I was once asked for custody documents, which of course, I didn't have with me. That may have been international though, I don't remember which trip that was. I agree with coultlee, may be a good idea to call airline and find out their policies.
Jul 11, 2016 @ 06:52 am

When travelling

with a baby/toddler a health card works fine for them.
I have flown a lot with my daughter in the past two years, have always used her health card(never even bringing her BC) and have never been asked to provide it. You have his S.I.N so best off taking that just in case, but I think you'll be fine with just the Health Card.
Jul 11, 2016 @ 09:39 am


@wendyroy we're going home all together, so his dad will be with us.

@robynbraye thank you!
Jul 11, 2016 @ 12:26 pm


My sister did it without my nephews passport, she used two pieces of ID for him
Jul 11, 2016 @ 06:15 pm


@stephanieeaston thank you!
Jul 11, 2016 @ 07:06 pm

Leave A Reply