Cake The ‘Do Gooder Volumizing Dry Shampoo Spray Reviews
#88 in Dry Shampoo

August 09, 2019

Love this product!

This is the best dry shampoo I have found, even on dark brown/black hair it leaves no white residue and has a great but not overpowering scent. I love that there is a 200ml size and a travel one.

April 02, 2019

Best Dry Shampoo I've Tried Thus Far

For a period of time I was trying different dry shampoos and tried 4-5 different ones. I haven't tried another since the Cake shampoo works and continuing to buy different dry shampoos and not using them can get expensive.

I have fine, thin, colour-treated hair and use volumizing shampoo, conditioner, and sometimes other volume hair products. I use Cake dry shampoo between washes of my hair seems to be getting a little oily and limp.

The Good

There is no residue or powder that shows on the hair once you comb or brush it through.

It really does work to get rid of oil and add volume to hair as well. It can make it look like it was freshly washed or more recently washed.

It only takes a few minutes to use. I do use it only on top of head, concentrating on roots.

It smells nice and is safe for colour-treated hair.

Most importantly, they do not test on animals and they do not buy ingredients from suppliers who test on animals. They do not sell in locations where it would be required of them to test the product on animals before introducing the product to that particular market.

The Bad

It does smell nice but my family finds the scent unpleasantly strong. I have to warn them I'm going to use it so they can go somewhere else and open a window. I find it a little strong but since it works so well I still use it. It does not smell as strong when it is in your hair. If you have a workplace with a "no scents makes good sense" policy this is probably not a product yiu wany to use when you have to be at work or anyplace scent could cause a problem like a hospital or medical office. I have never received any scent complaints about the product outside of family. It is important to note that my family members do not have asthma or any lung disease and they still find the scent overpowering when product sprayed. Afterwards though they are okay with product once it dries and spraying stops. I've spent a good amount of time on this topic because I know some people can become very ill after exposure to a strong scent.

The price is a bit expensive for the amount you get. I keep buying it because I know it works. I suspect that part of the reason for the price is to convey or insinuate the product is superior. Most products in the Cake family have this in common. If they are confident it is indeed better than others they can price it that way without pricing themselves out of the market. I don't know the reasons behind the pricing, I'm just expressing my opinion on it. Possibly cheaper products work just as well or better but I haven't tried those.

If the spray escapes the targeted area of the roots and gets into the length it can leave your hair quite dry and frizzy looking. To counter this I put in a little leave-in conditioner in the length.

Despite "the bad" they aren't deal breakers for me because the product works well for me. There is no ugly involved really. The can is an upbeat pink colour. It is really important to me that they do not test on animals and are cruelty free. Overall, I can comfortably recommend this product, especially those with thin or fine hair. The result of use (with leave-in conditioner in length as needed) is freshened hair with a little volume. I wash my hair every 2nd day and occasionally have used this product on that third day when in a pinch. My review is based on using it between washes but never getting to day 4 of not washing hair.

1.5/5

January 18, 2019
    Saskatchewan, Canada

A big nope

In my experience this product didn't work AT ALL, and possibly made my hair look worse. I have fine, tired hair by 'day two' and am used to using a dry shampoo occasionally between shampoos. I have given it a solid chance now and am temped to just throw the rest of the product away. It did not take away the slight oilness nor add volume. I am not a fan of the scent either - my 8 year old loves it and it does smell like cake or candy, but wouldn't work for scent-free workplaces.

January 11, 2019
    Prince Edward Island, Canada

Cake Volumizing Dry Shampoo

First time using this product and I loved it! No sticky residue and felt confident for an impromtu get together. Also love that this product is Canadian and environmentally conscious.

January 07, 2019

Awesome Product

I recently purchased the “Do Gooder” dry shampoo made by Cake. It works great and I love the coconut scent. I would definitely buy this again, my only complaint is that the container seems to dent really easily.

May 28, 2018

Un shampoing sec correct

Ce shampoing sec fonctionne bien mais l'odeur est assez forte. Il sent le gâteau au caramel. Pour moi, l'odeur est trop prononcé mais il agit bien sur les cheveux et permet de sauter un shampoing sans avoir les racines grasses.

2.0/5

March 19, 2018

Thought it would work better

Cake is a brand I enjoy, so I was excited to try this dry shampoo. Love the pink can, liked the sweet scent! I found it just didn't cut the oiliness. It seemed to weigh my hair down and looked even more oily. The price was double of others that work way better. I was shocked it performed poorly.

December 04, 2017

Works well

Works well to freshen up hair.
    Disliked the scent though (was supposed to smell like "warm vanilla", but just stinks honestly!). Luckily, the smell goes away after you brush it through hair.

October 18, 2017

Not bad, not amazing.

I wanted to really LOVE this dry shampoo, but it just doesn't work for my hair and what I need. I didn't find it added any volume at all - I actually found the opposite, like it weighed my hair down. It definitely helped me get a second day out of my hair (which is fine and tends to be oily quickly) but I had to wear it up the 2nd day because it looked oily without the shine when I wore it down. Wearing it up it looked dry and clean, but again, no volume at all. The smell is really good too.

August 08, 2017

good

I like this dry shampoo however it is nothing special. I have dark hair and it did not make my hair look white which is a plus but other than that it is about the same as all other products like it