1.9/5
Carvers choice bacon Reviews
#1771 in Grocery

September 23, 2021

Mostly fat!

Bought a 375g package of Carver's Choice thinking it looked fine in the package, only to find it was three-quarters fat and very little meat. Have had to trim off meat pieces from heavy fat and try to piece together in the pan an approximation of two slices each for two people. Outrageous!

September 03, 2021

Stringy and FATTY

Way too much fat content. Bought 2 pack. Got enough to just sprinkle some bits on 2 burgers.
    Two entire handfuls of fat together. No integrity as a strips of bacon.

Never seen bacon worse than that. A bunch of frustration just to get the fat off to not start a grease fire.

August 05, 2021
    Prince Edward Island, Canada

Would never buy this bacon again

It is a lie to call this product bacon!...It should be called fat!, because that's what it is...about 90% fat!...not worth buying, no wonder it sells so cheap...this should not be allowed to be put on store shelves!!!

March 01, 2021

It's Bacon

Some seriously harsh reviews. I picked a 1kg pack of this bacon up at a local grocery last week. It was on sale, in a separate cooler, so I suspect it was a special purchase. It's not a premium bacon but it's also half the price of most normal bacon, never mind premium brands like Michell's Heritage thick slice, my normal go to for thick slice bacon.

Now that said, this bacon fries up fine. There's no gristle or anything hard like a rind so the texture is fine. And it tastes fine - maybe not quite as good as apple-smoked or mapled bacons, but the taste is all bacon. The quality is very similar to a thick-slice store brand bacon like from Walmart. Yes it's fattier than premium bacons. So are most store brands. Expect the same. It takes a bit more patience to separate the slices, especially if it got a bit twisted in packaging. Use a screen lid to minimize the spits and splatter frying it on stove top. I've also fried it up on a browning pan in the microwave and found it to spit a bit more than my normal bacon so putting a paper towel on top helps keep the oven clean if you're using the microwave to cook this bacon. Expect it to shrink more than premium bacons because it is fattier. And use some paper towel to absorb the fat off the bacon before serving to your family. Bacon has never been a heart-smart food. For all bacon I put several layers of paper towel under the bacon as I take it out of the pan, and then use more paper towel on top to pat the fat off.

Now, as for this bacon, if I see it again, I'll buy it again and with any cheaper bacons, I'll be selective and look for the leaner packages before putting it in my cart.

1.3/5

January 24, 2021
    Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

Waste of money

I usually don't by this type of bacon. I saw it at the store on sale, really cheap for bacon. It was still a waste of money. I'd say it was 90 percent fat. If they were giving it out I wouldn't take a pack. I'll go back to getting back bacon, it might cost more but I'd have something worth eating.

1.3/5

July 10, 2020

In 50 years worst bacon ever!

Canada here, for over 50 years I have done the shopping and cooking for my family. I just opened a 375g of Carvers Choice bacon, 90% fat. Through the
    little windows on the back it looked lean, only one slice was. Would never buy again, and was shocked to see it was a Maple Leaf Foods product.

1.5/5

April 25, 2020

Over 50% fat......do not buy

500g written on the package, and 291g of fat weighed in on my kitchen scale. I had no choice removing the meat from fat, as I could not remove any slices from the package without it separating on its own. This is always an indication of a poor meat to fat ratio in the package/serving.

August 11, 2019

Garbage, 435 grams fat per 1kg... rediculas

Stay away, It looked great in the wraper but it was half fat! 1 kg package, I moderetly trimmed the bacon and weighed it on our scale. 435 grams pure fat.
    Im sure it must be a great price point for the outlets selling this but your ripping off your customers.
    I never leave revews and never this long!
    Trying to use up the 160 word revew minimum.

May 28, 2018

Middle of the road

This is not the highest quality bacon and its reflected in the price. This is not gourmet bacon but a poor mans utility bacon. . You pay for what you get. When it's on sale at Giant Tiger I pick up a few packages for the freezer. I use this product for baked beans etc. The trick is to take your time and find the leanest packages as the meat to fat content are far from uniform among packages.

2.0/5

December 19, 2017

Not a very lean bacon.

This bacon is always on special at the Giant Tiger near my house and there's reason why. The quality is not that great. Theres more fat than there is meat. It tastes good but when I eat bacon I want one that's a little more meaty.