La Roche-Posay Effaclar DUO Dual Action Acne Treatment Reviews

*Note from ChickAdvisor Editors: This product has been reformulated and relaunched as La Roche-Posay Effaclar DUO[+].  Please check your product packaging prior to adding your review to make sure it's for the right formula.

Please add new La Roche-Posay Effaclar DUO[+] reviews on ChickAdvisor at this link or visit the La Roche-Posay website for additional product information.

November 27, 2019
    Norfolk, United Kingdom

Acne Treatment that WORKS

I originally bought this product because I had seen it advertised in several magazines in segments where dermatologists reccomend products. Since then I've bought several tubes!

I have been suffering from severe acne my whole life, and recently (at 30 years of age) I was once again put on antibiotics to clear it up. I also have quite sensitive skin and tend towards Rosacea.

Before this most recent bout of antibiotics, by far the most effective product I had found was this moisturiser.

There is also a toner, but my experience is from using just the moisturiser. I will say that it can be hard to find the right product for you in this range. Many look similar, the names are pointlessly confusing (and in French) and there are several very similar products with no advice on how to choose the right one. I am thinking particularly of the Effaclar k+, and Effaclar H, both easily muddled up with the Effaclar duo).

However, once you get the right one, it's effective! Obviously you have to use it for a while and consistently to get a good result, but I definitely noticed a real and significant difference after several weeks of use. My acne was less severe, I had fewer pimples and cysts. It didn't entirely eliminate the problem, but it certainly beats out any other similar products. It also never irritated my skin and it didn't cause Rosacea flare-ups - a lot of acne treatments contain ingredients which are harsh on skin.

It makes a decent base if you want to apply makeup on top of it.

You'll want to use a different cream for around the eyes, and if you tend towards dryness, you may want to pat on something a little heavier over the dry areas. The Effaclar H is perfect for that - it's designed for people with acne who are using acne treatments which are drying their skin.

Conversely, I would say that this product can leave you a bit shiny / oily, not immediately after application, but later in the day. There is a separate product in the same range, Effaclar MAT, a moisturiser which helps to keep your skin matte throughout the day (see what I mean about the product confusion?) That said, I didn't find this strong enough for my particular level of shine!

The only loss of stars is on price. This product isn't crazy expensive, it's mid-range. However, La Roche Posay is owned by a L'oreal, which could undoubtedly afford to price it more cheaply, and I wonder whether the price is specifically to make it feel more high quality, more expert.

Still, I would reccomend this product, especially for those with sensitive skin. If you're shopping for a teen who is struggling with acne, I think it would be good to consider this product over the cheaper, more prolific ranges aimed at teen skin, which can often cause flare-ups just by virtue of their harsh ingredients.

October 24, 2019
    United Kingdom

Saved my skin

Can't believe how well this product works. I was skeptical because I have tried prescribed products from my GP. I thought I would give this a go since it has been recommended by dermatologist. I can safely say it works! My acne has reduced massively as well as scarring. My skin is almost completely clear! I will definitely continue to use this product

October 09, 2019
    Leicester, United Kingdom

Great for breakouts

Perfect for acne prone skin without being over drying. Also helps to fade acne marks and even out skintone. Wish they did a bigger tube as the small bottle runs out quick when used twice daily

September 04, 2019

My go to acne treatment

I never had very much acne when I was younger but at 29 I started getting adult acne and needed to find something to get rid of it. I tried a few different things and nothing was working to get rid of it. I finally bought this and my acne was gone after a couple of days. Now I use it whenever I feel a pimple coming on and that gets rid of it within a day. Highly recommend this to everyone I know!

September 01, 2019
    Washington, United States

Amazing Moisturizer

I got this cool cream moisturizer from shoppers drug mart. Been using it for 3 months during summer and I absolutely liking it. It’s a really great cream for oily or combination skin type. It doesn't smell like fragrance. The price is affordable and the quality is great.

3.2/5

August 29, 2019

Decent but I know there's better options

If you have oily skin this can be an option but the price point is a bit out there. It moisturizes but not enough. It still left my skin feeling a little bit parched for more hydration. It did nonetheless feel very light when applied to the skin and sinks in instantaneously.

Something to take note of is that it has salicylic acid which is great for acne and it is a helpful ingredient but this product just didn't feel worth it. There are multiple skincare products that have salicylic acid for a cheaper price point in both cleanser and moisturizer form, so take your pick!

August 15, 2019

Perfection in a bottle

It prevents acne and it moisturizer all in one! Perfect for oily acne prone skin. Just note that it doesn’t so much treat acne as it prevents. It still helps with active breakouts tho and it’s still good as a moisturizer. My skin is combo so I need to apply another moisturizer afterwords at night but if you have oily skin you should be covered

July 16, 2019
    United Kingdom

Really combats redness

This was recommended to me by my sister and I've been using it ever since. It's one of the only products I religiously use because I find that it actually produces real results. My skin is a lot clearer when I use this products, spots go away more quickly and are less red and angry looking.

July 14, 2019
    England, United Kingdom

My go-to product for breakouts!

This is a product I use when I have a breakout and need it cleared fast!

I know the product is gentle enough not to irritate my skin but is also powerful enough to combat the breakout.

It isn't cheap but, used sparingly only when I have a breakout, it is effective and affordable.

July 13, 2019
    Hampshire, United Kingdom

100% recommend for ance prone skin and ance scars

The product works so well for spots and reducing the appearance of ance scars. I use it at night along with another moisturiser as it isn’t as moisturising and my skin needs.