5 Fashion and Beauty Faves for Holiday/Winter 2012
I believe it was Yves Saint Laurent who said, 'Fashions fade, style is eternal'. You only need to look at a few photos of 80's fashion to know that this is totally true! While fads and trends come and go, there are always a few key pieces that can carry you through for years to come. These are the items worth spending a few dollars on. For this season, here are 5 fashion and beauty items that I recommend investing in.
1. The Carry All Bag
I love holiday shopping. I love the hustle and bustle, I love trying to find a great deal and I love finding that perfect item for a loved one. I do a lot of running around to different stores during this season. I'm constantly going from one end of the city to the other. To keep up, I need a quality, carry all bag to tote around all my essentials. Whether it's my shopping list, my mobile makeup station or a few snacks to keep me energized, I always have a great large but chic bag on my arm to carry it in.
Pro Tip: A bold coloured bag in a bright colour makes for great contrast against an all neutral outfit. A basic black or tan goes with everything all year round.
1. Michael by Michael Kors Large Fulton Pebbled Leather Satchel (US$328.00)
2. ASOS Leather & Metal Across Body Bag (C$89.48)
3. Zara Bowling Bag with Zips (C$199.00)
4. Browns Tote (C$85.00)
5. CBG Sienna Mini Tote Bag (C$118.00)
6. Modalu Pippa Grab Bag (C$250.00)
2. Cozy Knit Sweater
Picture this: you're sitting around a fire, with a hot cup of tea and maybe even a good book or movie. What's the perfect outfit for this occasion? May I suggest a chunky knit? It's pretty much like wearing a hug. It feels amazingly comfy and for the holiday season, I love to splurge on a luxe fabric like cashmere or even wool. This sweater is definitely going to become your new holiday tradition.
1. Roots Chunky Cable Knit Crew (C$88.00)
2. Joe Fresh Merino Wool Sweater (C$39.00)
3. Free People Shaggy Knit Pullover (C$98.24)
4. J. Crew Farmyard Fair Isle Sweater (C$118.00)
5. Banana Republic Cable-Knit Turtleneck Sweater (C$110.00)
3. Long Lasting Lip Colour
With all the drinking and eating you'll no doubt be doing throughout the holidays, you'll need a long lasting lip colour to keep up! Try a liquid lipstick or lipstain and be sure to use a liner underneath for extra pigment and to keep your lipstick from bleeding out.
Pro Tip: Use lipstick on dry lips and cover lips first in foundation or concealer so that the colour really pops out!
1. Maybelline SuperStay 24 HR Lip Color (C$11.09)
2. Hourglass Panoramic Long Wear Lip Liner (C$33.00)
3. Make Up For Ever Aqua Rouge (C$27.00)
4. Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Lipstick (C$30.00)
5. Kat Von D Star Kissed Lipstick Set (C$36.00)
4. Statement Accessories
Headed to a party after work? Simply dress up your suit or a LBD with a piece of statement jewelry. Or, spice up your jeans and white tee with a trendy accessory that demands attention like a fun hat, scarf or watch.
1. Aldo 'Frileva' Necklace (C$25.00)
2. Romewe Baroque Print Scarf (US$17.99)
3. Expression Jewelled Necklace (C$18.75, on sale)
4. La Mer Collections Rio Gold Chain Wrap Watch (C$114.35)
5. Jessica Floppy Boho Fedora (C$17.99)
Blush not only brings a healthy, flushed glow to your face, but it also helps define your cheekbones which creates a slimmer face. You'll want to invest in a pigmented blush that goes on smoothly and one that lasts a few hours so you don't need to reapply.
1. Nars Blush (C$32.00)
2. Stila Custom Colour Blush (C$26.00)
3. Dior Rosy Glow Healthy Glow Awakening Blush (C$45.00)
4. Benefit Cosmetics Bella Bamba Blush (C$36.00)
5. Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush (C$33.00)
Which one of these products would you invest in? Are you currently eyeing something for the season?
More by Alexandra C.
More on Eyes, Lips, Face, Style Guide, Accessories
Sweaters are soo cute, but unfortunately I can't wear most of them. They itch me like crazy!
I love a good cozy sweater's in the cold months and I just happen to be on the hunt for a few new sweater this week.
I love blush. I think one of the worst things that happens to my skin during fall and winter season is it gets dull and dead looking. I look extra anemic. Blusher saves the day, gives my face a rosy glow and just makes me look human again.
I love a good knit sweater!
Join Our Newsletter
Best of Beauty (66)
Blogs We Love (63)
Career & Finance (66)
ChickAdvisor Events (108)
ChickAdvisor Newsletters (17)
ChickChat TV (8)
Eating Out (73)
Eyes, Lips, Face (578)
Fan Mail (14)
Gadgets, Media (40)
Gift Guide (79)
Hands & Feet (112)
Makeup Tutorials (58)
New Features (27)
News & Issues (123)
Parties & People (85)
Posing Wall (128)
Product Review Club (82)
Runway Fashion (209)
Shop ChickAdvisor (6)
Skin Care (216)
Street Style (47)
Style Guide (393)
Videos We Love (59)
Weekly Roundup (79)
Would You Wear This? (56)
Articles ArchiveBrowse articles by date
sandhur earned the badge: Top Commenter