New Year's Eve Pre and Post Skincare Routine
New Year's Eve can give your skin a serious hangover. The drinking, late night eating and sugary desserts don't exactly make for hydrated, smooth and clear skin. With the big night here, we have your comprehensive guide to caring for skin pre- and post December 31st!
Pre NYE: Whenever I'm heading out for a night on the town, I like to give myself a mini beauty primping sesh. I make sure my focus is on treating my skin and giving it some TLC before I do some things to it that it's not a huge fan of (i.e. lots of makeup and eating sugar and drinking, sorry skin!).
First I cleanse and I try to choose a cleanser formulated to target whatever problem I have: dull skin, anti-aging, blemishes etc. Unless I am really breaking out, I try to stay away from cleansers with harsher ingredients.
1. Olay Pore Minimizing Cleanser + Scrub (C$9.99)
2. Bliss Fabulous Foaming Face Wash (C$25.00)
3. Jurlique Soothing Foaming Cleanser (C$42.00)
4. Neutrogena Deep Clean Long-Last Shine Control Cleanser/Mask (C$10.99)
I'm not a huge fan of toners but in prep for a night out, I might use one for extra hydration and cleansing. I find adding a serum before a moisturiser is a good way to focus on a skin care issue. In the morning or before a night out, I tend to go for brightening serums or hydrating ones.
1. Caudalie Beauty Elixir (C$18.00)
2. Make Up For Ever HD Elixir (C$43.00)
3. Thayer's Alcohol-Free Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner (C$12.99)
4. Sephora Collection Ultimate Moisture Kit (C$41.00)
5. Elizabeth Grant Vitamin C Day Treatment (C$40.00)
6. Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Illuminating Serum (C$42.00)
Finally, you'll want to moisturize your skin before you go out and apply a primer. Not only will your makeup last longer, but you're creating a barrier so you don't clog pores.
1. Benefit The Porefessional Primer (C$34.00)
2. Elizabeth Arden Visible Difference Skin Balancing Lotion (C$48.00)
3. Olay Moisturizing Lotion Sensitive Skin (US$9.49)
4. Eucerin Replenishing Face Cream 5% Urea Face Cream (C$15.69)
5. Nip + Fab Moisture Fix (US$16.95)
6. Veil Mineral Primer + No. 28 Primer Serum Duo (C$29.00)
7. Nude Skincare Radiant Day Moisturiser (C$63.00)
8. Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel (C$31.00)
Post NYE: To combat the post-drinking breakouts and dry patches, here's what to do the night before:
If you do nothing else, remove your makeup. If I had a dollar for every time I told a friend this and they ignored me, I would be a millionaire. Though I may sound like a broken record, I can't emphasize this enough. I know it's late and you're tired, so just use some cleansing cloths if you can't make it to the sink.
1. Biore Make-up Removing Towelettes (C$13.35)
2. Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes Night Calming (US$6.99)
3. Spectro Derm Cleanser (C$15.79)
4. Simple Cleansing Facial Wipes (C$9.99)
5. Korres Pomegranate Cleansing & Make Up Removing Wipes For Oily And Combination Skin (C$16.00)
If you're feeling up to it, apply a night cream to help start your recovery process. If you have blemish prone skin like myself, I might skip the usual spot treatment unless I have an especially nasty friend about to pop up. Also try a moisturiser for acne prone skin with a low percentage of salicylic acid.
1. Clarins Super Restorative Night Cream (C$115.00)
2. Dr. Jart+ Water Fuse Water-Max Sleeping Mask (C$48.00)
3. Clean & Clear Dual Action Moisturizer (C$8.49)
4. Yes to Carrots Repairing Night Cream (C$9.99)
The next morning: So that final tequila shot seemed like a good idea at the time, but then morning rolls around and you're cursing your past self? Yup, we've all been there.
The source of that hangover you're currently nursing is dehydration. You're going to want to drink a heck of a lot of water to help ease that pounding headache. Dehydration affects your body not only internally but also externally. Your skin is parched and is begging for moisture. In fact, the day after drinking, you may notice some breakouts. This often happens because your skin is so dry that it overproduces oil to compensate. Now's the time to really deep clean and moisturise to get your skin back on track.
1. MaskerAide All Nighter Hydrating Facial Sheet Mask (C$6.00)
2. Boots No.7 Purifying Sauna Mask (US$20.99)
3. Clinique 7 Day Scrub Cream Rinse-Off Formula (C$24.00)
4. When Essence Gel Mask - Travelmate (C$35.00)
5. Sephora Collection Instant Moisture Mask (C$18.00)
6. First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream (C$15.00)
7. Dr. Hauschka Moisturizing Mask (C$61.00)
8. Garnier Nutritioniste Skin Renew Resurfacing 3-way Cleanser (C$12.69)
9. Fresh Soy Face Duo (C$44.00)
P.S. Don't forget to drink lots of water during your celebration and the morning after!
Do you have a special skincare routine for a big night out?
More by Alexandra C.
More on Skin Care
I rarely remove my makeup before bed, which is horrible, I know. I have used the Clean & Clear Dual Action Moisturizer though, and I hate it! It feels like it is burning my skin (and I don't have sensitive skin at all..I have never had a skin reaction to anything). It just doesn't feel good on my face, and doesn't seem to prevent breakouts. I also use the Biore cleansing cloths and I do like them, but I don't like their scent, and I can always feel the cleanser left on my face even after I rinse with water.
I wasn't thrilled with the Simple Cleansing Cloths either. I've tried a few things by them and haven't cared for any of them. I didn't care for the Biore cleansing cloths either, I found them to be to ruff and they made my eye's sting. I found the Neutrogena cleansing cloths to be the best for me. I really liked the Olay Moisturizer and scrub, I got a full size sample from them to try out last year and loved it.
Love me some Neutrogena and Garnier!
I just received a sample package of the "Simple Cleansing Cloths" in the mail, and wasn't entirely impressed with them. I found that they almost felt "dried out", so it was almost uncomfortable.
Join Our Newsletter
Best of Beauty (74)
Blogs We Love (63)
Brand Challenge (7)
Career & Finance (67)
ChickAdvisor Events (130)
ChickAdvisor Newsletters (17)
ChickChat TV (8)
Eating Out (73)
Eyes, Lips, Face (599)
Fan Mail (14)
Gadgets, Media (40)
Gift Guide (85)
Hands & Feet (125)
Makeup Tutorials (61)
New Features (28)
News & Issues (126)
Parties & People (90)
Posing Wall (128)
Product Review Club (147)
Reviewers' Choice Awards (7)
Runway Fashion (213)
Shop ChickAdvisor (6)
Skin Care (246)
Street Style (48)
Style Guide (401)
Videos We Love (61)
Weekly Roundup (79)
Would You Wear This? (56)
Articles ArchiveBrowse articles by date
DISHONEST REVIEWS, DISHONEST PEOPLE ON THIS SITE!!!!!
REVLON Super Lustrous Lipstick Creme- Black cherry
Benefit They're Real Lengthening and Volumizing Mascara
Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay In Place Powder Makeup
Soap & Glory Sexy Mother Pucker XL Extreme-Plump Collagen Lip Shine
Dove Advanced Hair Series Oxygen Moisture Conditioner