Habitant Yellow Pea Soup Reviews
#179 in Misc

This Canadian favorite is one of the few Yellow Pea Soups on the market. Smooth, rich taste, ready to serve. Stock up today!

0.8/5

October 15, 2021

They Ruined this Soup!

I never do this but I actually wrote to the company to express my disgust at what they've done to this once fine product which I've been buying for 35 years... they've added so much water you can actually count the peas. Their response to me was that they were basically doing this to satisfy their customers! What a joke! I used to love this soup now I have stopped buying it and have told my friends what it's like now and they agree. As someone else here said it is just 'gruel' now-- shame on them and I hope sales drop off.

0.5/5

August 20, 2021
    Saskatchewan, Canada

Swill! Never buy it again.

I just wrote to Campbell's telling them what I thought of their new "recipe". That is, add more water, lots more water, and remove almost all of the peas. That will probably save them like two cents a can.
    I had no idea Campbell's bought out Habitant, they've ruined it beyond repair. It's tasteless crud now, worse than gruel.

July 26, 2021

A great quick meal!

I heard a lot of good things about this pea soup before trying it myself. This soup made by Habitant since 1918 is a classic among Canadian families and kept its ingredients list very minimalist (water, yellow peas, lard, salt, onion powder and spice). The soup is nice, creamy and thick and offers great nutrition facts, especially with the high fiber (8g; 32% daily value) and protein (8gr) amount in the soup.
    I received this complimentary product in exchange for my honest review.

0.7/5

July 08, 2021

Remove "French Canadian" from the label

What a joke. This is truly NOT traditional French Canadian pea soup. Now that Habitant products were bought out by Campbell's USA, they have ruined the once renowned pea soup product. Absolutely disgusting, not fit to be sold. Extreme watery and omg where are the peas. Tastes so damn blah, you've lost our family of over 50 years of eating this soup. Not fit for a dog.
    Shame on you.
    P.S. you might as remove the word pea from the label. There were so few in this watery blah garbage.

0.5/5

April 26, 2021
    New York, United States

Sadly, this soup is horrible

Our family has eaten Habitant pea soup for over 60 years. We ordered some and when I opened the can it was pale in color and watery. There is no flavor to speak of, though maybe watery corn starch. I thought it was a bad can but the second can was just the same - awful. It appears Campbells bought Habitant and changed the recipe. They should be ashamed for putting out a product that tastes nothing like Habitant, and in fact tastes like nothing at all.

1.7/5

February 28, 2021

So disappointing

What a shame. As we sat here eating the soup, we both looked at each other and made a comment that this doesn't taste like it supposed to. Wondered if It had gone bad. Low and behold, after searching online, I find out that they DID change the recipe. You can't do that to a long-cherished staple. Imagine if Heinz changed the recipe for their ketchup or Coca-Cola for their COKE (oh yeah, they did try that once) Will send this post to Habitant and maybe if enough of us does so, they might go back to what it is supposed to be.

0.7/5

February 28, 2021

Horrible disappointment - why change a good thing!

Ever since I was a little girl (more than 50 years ago!) I've loved Habitant French Canadian Pea Soup. Bought a can last night to satisfy my craving and what a watery disappointment is was! The beautiful velvety, hearty texture has changed. Wow, it's like daydreaming about that high school crush from long ago and seeing him at the reunion minus his lush hair and muscular physique.

January 12, 2021
    New Brunswick, Canada

Not the same

As other reviewers have noted, this product has changed from a thick and hearty to a watery soup. I also noted that it was made in the USA. I will be looking for a Canadian made product now.

1.0/5

December 02, 2020

Horrible watery Broth

I use to love Habitant Pea Soup with a slice of homemade bread. It was nice and thick great for dipping in the bread. I saw it this week so I bought a can. When I opened it, I saw this pale yellow liquid which I was able to pour out of the can it was so watery. Hardly any peas at all. What happened to the Habitant Pea Soup??? It tastes blah with a chalky texture. NOT GOOD!

0.8/5

November 22, 2020

WORST SOUP EVER TASTED, WILL NOT BUY AGAIN

TASTE AWFUL WATTERY, AT FIRST THOUGHT IT WAS A BAD BATCH, BUR AFTER THE THIRD CAN WAS NOT, WILL NEVER BUY THAT SOUP AGAIN UNLESS THEY GO BACK TO THE ORIGINAL, BETWEEN MY FAMILY AND MY SONS FAMILY WE THROUGH ABOUT 10 CAN A WEEK, NO MORE

Updated On: March 01, 2021

tried another this weekend just to see if anything happened, same juice and a few peas, one thing notice at the store the pile was high at $1.69 only a frw cans missing, I remember before when they can special, this pile use to go down in a couple of days. dont have to fight to buy them anymore nobody does