Benefit Cosmetics They’re Real! Makeup Remover Reviews

Ranked #106 out of 217 in Eye Makeup Remover

June 17, 2016

I got a sample of this remover with a purchase recently. I have to say that although I was a bit skeptical I absolutely love it! I have seen that this product has received some negative reviews in the past but I am not sure why. I use waterproof eyeliner and mascara daily and this is the first make-up remover I have tried where I didn't have to use a lot or spend a long amount of time to remove every trace of makeup. Would definitely recommend to anyone and have already purchased this in full size.

May 19, 2015

I find awkward and messy to apply it on a cotton pad and swipe my makeup off. My first pass over my eye it didn’t remove much so I had to go over my eye a few times to remove about 75% of my eye makeup. By that time I had tugged a fair bit to get off what I did and I was left with little chunks of cotton around my eye because the cream tugs on the cotton which results in a little puffs of cotton ending up all over my eye and lid. There was no burning sensation during the removal process so it was fairly gentle on my eyes however, it left me with cloudy vision. You have to rinse after anyway so I splashed water in my eyes a bit after the removal process to clear the trippy cloudy vision I had. At this time I looked in the mirror and realized I had raccoon eyes because the remover hadn’t taken all my makeup off.

March 10, 2015

A must-have if you use the They're Real! mascara. Comes as a cream so it's easy to control how much you want to use. Doesn't leave your eyes feeling dry or irritated afterwards. I love this makeup remover!

1.5/5

February 27, 2015

I received this in my Top Box monthly subscription. I love a lot of Benefit products. This was not one of them. It was basically useless. I figured it would work well seeing as it felt oily like my other favourite makeup remover, but it hardly did a thing. It removed the eyeshadow just fine but liner or mascara hardly budged. Left me looking like a greasy racoon. And had to wash my face all over again. Don't waste your money. Almost any makeup remover wipe or my fave Garner clean Nourishing cleansing oil work 100 times better and are a far better price.

November 04, 2014

I ended up getting the Benefit Prive box from Top Box which included this remover. I really enjoy how well it works and am considering purchasing the full tube once I run out!

September 18, 2014

According to Benefit, this product is “Specially formulated to remove our bestselling They’re Real! mascara and They’re Real! push-up liner” as it “…completely lifts away waterproof eye makeup without tugging the delicate eye area.”

There’s no question that They’re Real mascara and its new liner have impressive staying power and can’t be removed with a normal facial cleanser. But, with a just dime-sized amount of this eye makeup remover, they come completely off. I also found this product to be wonderful at washing off shimmery or glittery makeup.

Benefit recommends first applying the remover to a cotton pad that you then wipe across your eyes before rinsing it off but I found that I could easily skip the cotton pad part. Instead, I applied the remover directly to my eyelids and rinsed it off, along with all of my eye makeup.

But while this is a powerful eye makeup remover, it’s also quite gentle. Benefit claims that it is “Suitable for sensitive eyes & contact lens wearers” and as a sensitive-eyed contact lens wearer, I completely agree. This product didn’t irritate me at all; it didn’t even sting when a bit of it got into my eyes.

This is hardly the first effective eye makeup remover that I’ve come across but it is the first cream-based one I’ve ever used and I quite like it. I took it on my recent trip to Chicago and it travelled very nicely; much better than a liquid one would.

Benefit clearly realizes how travel-friendly this product is as it offered it in a 15 ml size that retails for only $8 US (sadly this offer is only available directly from its site and not from Sephora). There is also a larger, 50 ml size that goes for $22 at Sephora in Canada. Since a little goes a long way, and since you really only need this product when you’re wearing waterproof or heavy eye makeup, one tube will last for quite a while.