The Ordinary Retinol 1% Reviews

Good - 0

September 25, 2021
    Birmingham, United Kingdom

Beware does irritate skin

It’s a good product if you started at the lower end of retinol and now working your way up , however if you are a new user of retinol then this is not for you will make skin irritated and red.

June 07, 2021

Made my face so much better!

After using this product for around 3 days, my face already looked so much better! I noticed my smile lines started to become less visible and my skin overall just looked way better.

May 02, 2021

Skin like a baby

I've tried the 0.5 percent by the ordinary before but I had not seen any difference. So I decided give this 1% a try and oh my goodness have I noticed a difference in my skin. My skin by the next morning feels instantly soft like babies butt. I still don't love the mix with squalene but I can live with it since this makes my skin feels so good. Sometimes because it's mixed with squalene it rolls with some of the other products I use. I wish we can try the emulsion in Canada but unfortunately it's not sold here.

March 10, 2021
    Glasgow City, United Kingdom

Completely changed my skin

I’ve been using this product for 11 months now and my skin has completely transformed. I started off using it once a week and worked my easy up and now use it every other day. My fine lines are diminishing but it also helps with my pores and any breakouts I have. I no longer have dark under eye circles either. For the price point it beats all other products on the market

February 09, 2021
    Lewisham, United Kingdom

Savior for your skin

If I was to choose one product that made the biggest difference in my acne it would be this retinol serum. It's an oil based serum so it's quite thick and heavy, you need only 3-4 drops to cover your entire face and neck. It lasts a long time. I am actually struggling to use it all up before it expires as I have had my bottle for a few months and it's still over halfway full. This product, however, has helped me with acne, hyperpigmentation, fine lines, texture, evening out skin tone, basically anything I can think of, this has helped with it. Skin takes time to adjust to any retinol serum though, so take it slow. I have started my journey with retinol 0.2% I think and saw no results (it also went bad quickly as I left it open accidentally over night) so I got impatient and jumped to 1% however making sire that i apply it only 2 nights per week and buffer it with a moisturiser underneath. I have seen some redness around my eyes and neck so ,i needed to back down a bit, but after a few weeks my skin got used to it. I prefer to use it every other night, interchangeably with my BHA or AHA acids and it works like a dream. I always apply this retinol on top of water based serums (alpha arbutin or niacinamide work great with it) and underneath my thick moisturiser. Works best at night as the sun might deteriorate the retinol and it won't ve as effective, and also always wear spf to protect the skin.

February 09, 2021

Favourite retinol

I started using the Ordinary before it became really popular and this has always been one of my holy grail products. I apply it morning and night to help with acne prone skin, and I found it makes a huge difference!

December 19, 2020

Absolute must have!

I love this product! I have tried many skincare products, drugstore and highend, and this is one of my favorites. I have pigmentation scars from acne and you see a visible difference the next day. Can't go wrong with this product because it is $5!

November 19, 2020

Great Retinol!

This is a great introduction to using retinols for beginners- I apply to dry skin and apply moisturizer over the top, and my skin looks plump, supple and healthy in the mornings. This is also a moisturizing serum as it's in squalane oil. My advice would be to start slowly and build up your tolerance.

September 13, 2020

Love this!

I can't explain how nice and smooth my face is the day after using this. I only use it a couple times a week so my sensitive skin doesn't over react, but the next morning my skin is so soft and smooth. I normally have dry textured skin, so this product is a lifesaver. I love the price for how long it lasts too. I haven't noticed a reversal of lines, but I haven't noticed any new ones since using it.

August 20, 2020

Great results

Retinol is a scary ingredient! This is the strongest concentration The Ordinary offers : i'd recommend starting out at lower ones. However, circumstances made it so i had to start out with this one.

I'm currently using this two times a week, at nighttime. I'm still getting retinol purging - pimples coming out (read about it, it's part of the process!). Apart from that, my skin texture is AMAZING, and my post inflammatory hyperpigmentation really has lessened. No irritation/peeling either!

Start slow, start at a low percentage, trust the process. It's worth it!