Among Others by Jo Walton

Publisher: Tor Books
Publication Date: January 18, 2011
IBSN: 978-0765321534
Pages: 302

After reading Among Others I had to sit back for a moment and decide if I really liked it. I thoroughly enjoy a book that makes you wonder. In all fairness, at the end of the first diary entry we are told that this isn’t a nice story or an easy story…I have to say, she proved that to be true.

The tragedy in the story is downplayed by Mori who you only love little by little. After my moment of reflection, I decided this story was brilliant mostly because you are supposed to love Mori little by little. She is candid and earthy and damaged more than just physically. She understands her physical damage but not her emotional damage. I think the magic was a beautiful distraction to the emotional healing that was going on.

I could say this is a magical coming of age story but that would be wrong [in my opinion]. It’s a story of coping, healing and magic. It’s a story about life and no matter the tragedy even something as simple as reading can hold you to it long enough for time and friendships and love to make you want to hold onto it. It is a fairy story. It isn’t nice or easy but it is thought provoking.

I would definitely recommend Among Others.

fredamans has posted in the forum topic
Lip Balm Freebie

Amandad94 added a new review for
S'mores Oreo

ajansson earned the Food & Drink Guru badge

simmieg added a new review for
Marc jacobs eyeliner