• Breville Barista Express
  • Breville Barista Express
Good

Breville Barista Express Reviews

Ranked #465 out of 481 in Coffee

With its integrated conical burr grinder and dosing control, The Barista Express delivers the optimum path from espresso bean to thick crema in less than two minutes. Non-pressurized cafe style single-wall filters allow for experimentation of grind size, grind amoung and tamping pressure to explore the art of espresso. Pressurized dual-walled filters help beginners by delivering smooth crema every time. The integrated tamper with magnetized lock in storage allows you to tamp to your preference while attached to the machine or the counter

December 07, 2010

After we received this machine for the office, I was drinking coffee twice a day! It's so easy to use and very easy to clean. The coffee grinder is built in, which is great. The only thing I know how to make right now are lattes, but that's fine with me cause they're so darn good!!

November 04, 2010

Love this machine! We got this for our office compliments of Breville and have been using it quite a bit every day. It's really easy to use and makes cafe quality cappuccinos and lattes. This is actually the 3rd espresso machine I've had and it is the best of the 3.

What I like about it:
- Easy to use
- Makes perfect espresso with crema
- Does not burn the grounds. It will never test 'off'
- The water tank holds a good amount. We can make at least 5 lattes off of one tank. Smaller machines will get you only a couple.
- Steam nozzle is easy to clean because it doesn't have any notches in it. You just wipe it off and it doesn't trap the milk.
- It's quite good-looking

My one critique so far is that the steam blows quite strong. It could be that I haven't figured out how to use that part, but I prefer being able to control the amount of steam coming out so I can get nice tight bubbles in the milk (can you tell I'm a coffee geek?). This heats the milk really fast and makes frothy bubbles but because it blows so hard, you can't leave it in long enough or close enough to the surface to get the kind of bubbles I'm talking about. If you're not a geek like me, you have no idea what I'm talking about and this will not affect you at all :)

November 04, 2010

I got to test out this espresso machine courtesy of the brand and I even got a tutorial how to use it! First of all, let me just say that I felt like a real barista using this - it was a lot of fun!

Once the machine is set up, all you need to do to prepare is to have the water filled in the back and coffee beans filled in the top space (both are large enough to last for multiple uses so no need to fill each time!).

Okay now onto using the machine: It's really easy. You press 2 buttons and it automatically grinds the beans fresh for you and pours you either a single or double shot of espresso. Honestly, it's so simple and the espresso is delicious. But I warn you, once you have had freshly ground beans, you'll be hooked and likely become a coffee snob!

If you would like a cappuccino or latte, you can make professional quality crema with the frother. It's easy to use, but will take some practice to get the best results. The downside to the frother is the cleaning. You certainly want to clean it immediately after use, but even still the milk will harden on the stainless steel and you have to really scrub it. But it's worth it for the delicious coffee it makes - seriously, your friends are going to show up in the mornings to make coffees rather than buy one. Another option that I have been doing is to warm up some milk in the microwave and add the espresso from this machine - it's really tasty and very fast.

The price may seem steep if you are an ordinary drip-coffee drinker, but it's actually a fantastic bargain for such a high quality machine. This is a really affordable price and a couple years ago, something like this would definitely cost upwards of $1000 (if not $2000). I was actually shocked when I saw what a great price this was so the quality you get. If you are someone who enjoys a good coffee, you will save bundles of money in the long run with this machine.

This would definitely make a fantastic gift.

Updated On: November 04, 2010

I forgot to add that if you don't know how to make lattes, cappuccinos, macchiatos etc., this machine comes with a recipe booklet that explains all kinds of delicious coffees and a few desserts that go with them!