Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen

Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen Reviews

Ranked #541 out of 960 in Books

Publisher's Description:
Orphaned and penniless at the height of the Depression, Jacob Jankowski escapes everything he knows by jumping on a passing train and inadvertently runs away with the circus. So begins Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen's darkly beautiful tale about the characters who inhabit the less-than-greatest show on earth.

April 02, 2016

I loved this book so much that I immediately went out and bought it for my sister (who is an avid reader). The story was so enthralling. I read it in one sitting. The movie is marketed as a romance and that is just not the premise of the book. It is gritty and real.

March 10, 2016

i loved this book more then the movie. there is love, action and it is funny! the guy in the old home is very funny at times. it is also a historic look at what traveling with a circus was like in the 20s era. i loved it

January 16, 2016

I found nothing special about it I never say the movie but some say that the movie was better

August 11, 2015

This is hands down, one of my favorite books. I'm currently reading it for the 5th time and I am just as captured by it as I was the first time.
The writing grabbed me right away, I love the sense of adventure in the writing and the description she uses just makes my heart happy.
The only reason I'm choosing that "I wouldn't purchase this again" is because I already own it. But I'd buy it again if I lose my current copy! Or if I wear it out from reading all the time...

July 08, 2015

I absolutely loved this book! I couldn't put it down once! By far one of the best book I have ever read and I do recommend it to anyone! Well worth the read! So much better than the movie!

March 15, 2015

The book was far, far better than the movie. Gruen writes a spellbinding tale that is really heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time. Her flashes between the past and the present provide brilliant insight into the old man's life and the reason he acts the way he does now. It is a very unique tale of love, life, and loss over one's lifetime. I highly recommend the book, but suggest you throw the movie out the window. Nothing can capture the way that Gruen writes.

October 25, 2014

I loved the history here - the gritty details of circus life during the Great Depression - the hardships, the poverty, and my heart ached for the animal, as well as the people abuse. What a hard life these downtrodden workers led - the setting up and tearing down day after day, the brutality, the harsh conditions, the 'homelessness', the filth. I liked the alternating perspectives of old Jacob living in the nursing home and suffering all the indignities that go along with that, and young Jacob learning the ropes of circus life.

I didn't care for the Hollywood ending though. And what happened to Marlena? The other characters were interesting enough but I found Marlena to be on the boring side....flat and uninteresting. It made the romance between her and Jacob less believable. All in all though, an entertaining read.

September 13, 2014

Really great book - the story is fantastic and is very well written.

September 13, 2014

So, so much better than the movie- as is most often the case. I loved the look inside the behind the scenes of a travelling circus- which is long ago now. Tough to read the animal parts, but it's important to know. The parts of the story told by the main character as an elderly man were my favourites- so touching

September 07, 2013

I loved this book. It was engaging and kept the reader interested. For me, it was a page turner. Nearing the end of the book I found myself wishing there was a bit more to read but it completed the story. Definitely suggest this as a read for anyone looking for a new book.