Prestige Item
Benefit Cosmetics They're Real! Mascara Reviews

Benefit they're real! Mascara is a jet-black mascara that lengthens, curls, volumizes, lifts and separates lashes for a spectacular "out-to-here" look. This exclusive brush is specifically designed to maximize the performance of the long-wearing glossy formula-revealing lashes you never knew you had. Staggered bristles grab close to the root, boosting length & volume beyond belief. Visit benefitscosmetics.com for more information.
    ChickAdvisor Reviewers' Choice Award™ 2016

November 05, 2019
    Saskatchewan, Canada

Probably would be better on people with long eyelashes

I have short, sparse, and thin asian lashes. I always am looking for mascara that makes my eyelashes noticable in photos. So I asked my friend who is known for having beautiful voluminous lashes what she recommended. She recommended Benefit Cosmetics They're Real!
    My hopes were high, and I definitely paid a pretty penny for it 33 CAD. Unfortunately my hopes were dashed, and the mascara did not deliver. It was mediocre, but for 33 bucks, and such high praise I expected more. The brush was spiky and painful, and my lashes wern't lengthened in the slightest. Overall I was just disappointed. Their were some things I liked about the mascara though, it was pretty flake and smudge resistant, and it even held its own during a intense workout session. The formula didn't clump, and dried quickly. Overall I would suggest that people who have naturally thick and long lashes would probably have a better time with this mascara then I did.

August 18, 2019

They are real

What it is:
    A lengthening mascara that curls, volumizes, lifts, and separates lashes for an "out-of-here" look.

What it does:
    This breakthrough bestseller reveals lashes you never knew you had! The specially designed brush features staggered bristles that grab close to the root, boosting length and volume beyond belief. The custom-domed tip uses precision bristles to lift, define, and curl even your tiniest lashes. With a glossy, jet-black, long-wearing formula, you’ll flaunt luxurious, silky lashes that won’t smudge, clump, or dry out.

What else you need to know:
    Go horizontal: the staggered bristles grab close to the root, boosting length and volume.
    Then go vertical: the custom-domed tip with precision bristles lift, define, and curl even your tiniest lashes.

This product is an Allure Reader’s Choice award winner.

Research results:
    In a consumer panel survey, the following results were reported:
    - 94% saw dramatic length and volume
    - 90% saw base-to-tip curl
    - 94% saw visible lift
    -100% saw long-wearing results

Beauty Tip:
    For super curl and length, apply Roller Lash first to curl and lift your lashes. Then layer They’re Real! Lengthening Mascara on top

2.7/5

July 16, 2019
    Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

My holy grail...3 years ago

If I had reviewed this product 3 years ago, I would have ranted and raved about its lengthening and defining properties. It literally made me look like a doll - and coming from someone who gets no results from 99.9% of mascaras. However, the last few I've had have been awful. Benefit seem to have changed their formula, making the mascara to be dry and unworkable. I initially thought I'd bought a fake but after having many since, I'm now sure this product is not my holy grail anymore.

April 19, 2019

I like it but I don't LOVE it.

It does do what it says, but the hype may be too high! I have used Benefit Mascara for a while now, I LOVE Benefit products. I love the wand, but I find the product is extremely clumpy and thick. It does work well if you use a clean want to separate lashes afterwards.

2.3/5

March 16, 2019

Nope.

I got a free sample of this in the mail and I was super excited for it! Maybe I had too high of expectations, but oh man, was I ever disappointed. With my first application I found it too clumpy for my liking, so I washed it off and tried again. Reapplication looked better, but about 10 minutes inutes later when I looked in the mirror I noticed that the mascara was transferring to my undereye, I looked like I have black eyes lol.. I hadn't rubbed or even touched my eyes. So I ended up washing it off. I tried a third time a couple weeks later and same thing. I decided to try again today and ended up having to wash it off for the same reason. After that I just tossed it and decided I was happy that I didn't actually spend money on it. I will say though that it did deliver what it said it would, but what good is that if it doesn't stay put? I would definitely not recommend this product.

September 20, 2018

Not for me :(

Sadly I did not enjoy this mascara. I have stick straight lashes and unfortunately this particular mascara did not stand up to my expectations. It made the curl in my lashes straighten out almost immediately and the brush, while cool looking, nearly took my eye out. I think I would've enjoyed this more if I had naturally curled lashes. I would definitely try it again if they ever launched a waterproof version.

August 27, 2018

So so.

I wanted to love this stuff as I use several benefit products currently. It was clumpy no matter how I applied it, or ended up looking spidery. I didn't achieve a real look at all sadly.

2.2/5

August 03, 2018

Try Another Brand

Benefit - They're Real Mascara: I tried this brand last month for the entire month and will not be using it again. The con: The consistency of the mascara tends towards the watery side, so you have to apply liberal amounts of it (minimum 3 layers) to achieve a pop effect. The pro: the brush has relatively widely spaced teeth so you have greater control during application. Overall, I don't think this mascara is worth it.

July 18, 2018

Great length achieved!

It makes my lashes look very long! It’s not a volumizing product though. I have priced it out and not sure it’s worth the extra money. I think I’ll add another coat of something else to see if two products together create a wow effect! Thanks for the sample though, it won’t go to waste!

June 02, 2018

Nice mascara

I used to love this mascara, but I am not sure if the formula changed or I changed. It is not a favourite of mine anymore. It is nice, but not the best. I find it makes my lashes to clumpy and stick together to make it look like I have 5 lashes. The ball at the end of the wand is kind of nice to get at the corner lashes which are hard for me to do normally.