Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden Reviews

Ranked #8 out of 1069 in Books

Publisher's description:
We follow Sayuri from her childhood in an impoverished fishing village, where in 1929, she is sold to a representative of a geisha house, who is drawn by the child's unusual blue-grey eyes. From there she is taken to Gion, the pleasure district of Kyoto. She is nine years old. In the years that follow, as she works to pay back the price of her purchase, Sayuri will be schooled in music and dance, learn to apply the geisha''s elaborate makeup, wear elaborate kimono, and care for a coiffure so fragile that it requires a special pillow. She will also acquire a magnanimous tutor and a venomous rival. Surviving the intrigues of her trade and the upheavals of war, the resourceful Sayuri is a romantic heroine on the order of Jane Eyre and Scarlett O'Hara.

June 19, 2017

Une histoire à relire

J'ai adoré cette histoire, vraiment passionnant. J'ai vu aussi le film mais j'aime toujours mieux le livre. Les détails et notre vision diffèrent toujours du film. J'ai aimé découvrir l'univers des geisha. C'était fascinant!

May 11, 2017

This is a wonderful book. I couldn't put it down. It brought me to a place where
    a young girl was sold and became a respectful Geisha. The hardships and brutality
    of a young girl who raised above all. An era that teaches you that you can rise
    from ashes to become much more.
    I had to see the movie and enjoyed it so much and it has become one of my favorite movies.
    Bravo!

April 07, 2017

This is a beautiful book. I can't even remember if I read the book first or saw the movie. There is SO much more to the book than in the movie.
    The story takes you into a whole new world and era, showing you the life of a Geisha and the hardships they had to deal with. I really got into this book. I enjoyed learning about it whole different culture and their ways of life.
    This book has love, lust, loss, heartache, jealousy, betrayal, and lots of hardship.
    I bought this book and I do not regret it. I will definitely read it again. I have also watch the movie many times, but I will cherish my book and pick it up again one day soon. I never expected to read this book, bit I am glad I did because I loved it.

April 02, 2017

I wasn't really expecting to be as captivated by this book as I was. Very quickly I found myself connecting with the main character and was wanting to know where her story was going to lead her. Along the way I learned a lot about the world of the Geisha which was fascinating. I found that the pace of the story was a good fit with the storyline and kept my interest throughout the book. I would recommend this book

February 02, 2017

I have always had an interest in historical fiction but this book sat on my to be read list for awhile. I picked it up a couple of weeks ago and read it in a couple of days. The main character has a way of describing her story that keeps me wanting to read more. I would recommend this book to anyone.

November 29, 2016

I found this book at a second hand shop and from first glance it caught my attention.

As soon as I got home, I picked up this book and was instantly absorbed into the story. From the very first sentence you want to know more about the house, family, the girls, and all the other characters/ objects that the author decided to write about.

I would recommend this book to everyone and have.

October 08, 2016

This is one of my all time favorite books. I first read it when I was in highschool and read it Again many times ever since. The story is realistic, you really get attached to the character and it's different from the other books. I really recommand it.

August 19, 2016

Loved the book and the movie. I highly recomend this book. It is a topic that has not been writen about often, and is really well done. If you like historical fiction you will probably like this book.

January 23, 2016

One of my favorite books. Make sure to read this if you really enjoy reading historical! It really taught me a lot about the geaisha and maiko culture back then.

December 16, 2015

I really loved this book. It was a tiny bit slow at times, but what book isn't? The story drew you in, as did the characters. The book was far, far better than the movie.