Soma Chocolatemaker Balsamic Vinegar Truffle

Soma Chocolatemaker Balsamic Vinegar Truffle Reviews

1 review
Ranked #1052 out of 1095 in Misc

March 04, 2007

I am a chocolate snob. I knows whats I likes, and I demand a hell of a lot from my chocolate. I ordered a few pieces from Soma this week - some truffles, which are actually molded chocolate filled with ganache, a microbatch bar that they take from bean to bar, and a package of hot chocolate mix - on the recommendation of a few friends. So far, I've sampled the molded chocolates only. The first three, Caramel Kiss, Single Origin Venezuelan, and Spicy Mayan Dome, were lovely but unremarkable. The fourth? The 8 year old age Balsamic Vinegar Truffle? That one was a revelation.

I had never thought about combining a dark chocolate (this one was Venezuelan with 70% cacao content) with balsamic vinegar before, but was mighty intrigued when I saw it on their price list. And, holy cow, am I happy that I ordered it. The bitterness of the chocolate was balanced with the tangy sweetness of the balsamic in a way that I had not thought possible. If I could marry a confection, I would be running down the aisle with this sucker RIGHT NOW.