Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs Reviews

Ranked #838 out of 960 in Books

Publisher's description:

RUNNING WITH SCISSORS is the true story of a boy whose mother (a poet with delusions of Anne Sexton) gave him away to be raised by her unorthodox psychiatrist who bore a striking resemblance to Santa Claus. So at the age of twelve, Burroughs found himself amidst Victorian squalor living with the doctor's bizarre family, and befriending a pedophile who resided in the backyard shed. The story of an outlaw childhood where rules were unheard of, and the Christmas tree stayed up all year-round, where Valium was consumed like candy, and if things got dull, an electroshock therapy machine could provide entertainment. The funny, harrowing, and bestselling account of an ordinary boy's survival under the most extraordinary circumstances…

August 24, 2009

Oh man, this has GOT to be one of my favorite books of all time! Burroughs has such a talent for writing, the reader is drawn in from page one, and he really makes his writing come alive.

While extremely graphic, and certinally not suitable for anyone under the age of at least fourteen, I found this book to be wonderful. Upon finishing the final page, it left me with a lot to think about. Mostly, it made me thankful for the wonderful home and loving family that I have. Upon reading it a second time, it became clearer how great of an author Augusten Burroughs truly is. I would HIGH recommend any of his books for anyone looking for a book that will leave them with something to chew on.

August 17, 2009

This book is not for the faint of heart. Burrough's struggles to find a family and a place in this world are not pleasant to read about, especially when you find yourself laughing. Burrough's has an amazing talent to be able to write about his abusive and traumatic childhood with humor. I couldn't put the book down, but do not recommend it for those who are looking for a light read.

September 08, 2007

Though this book is very well written and I feel terrible for the author and all of the abuse he suffered, I can't recommend this book. It really, really grossed me out.

It starts off in a comical way and immediately pulls you in. There are many funny laugh out loud moments. However, the graphic detail of the abuse scenes with the pedophile were just too much for me. I actually couldn't finish it because of that. It was just way too graphic and waaay too much information for me.

If you can handle reading in detail about a child giving a grown man a blow job then you can handle this book. I almost hurled.

January 31, 2007

My mother often reads books that Opera suggests from her book club, but I rarely ever do. She raved on and on about Running With Scissors, a memoir by Augusten Burroughs. I kept hearing things about this particular author, but it took me awhile to actually borrow my mother's copy. She kept telling me about how unbelievable his life was, etc, etc, so one day I finally decided to read it.

This was one of the fastest reads in my life, only because I couldn't put it down. I cannot believe the childhood that he had and everything that has happened to him. It's almost a mixture of the Adam's Family with The Royal Tannenbaum's. That was my first impression anyway. Burroughs does such a great job at making me laugh and cry that I actually have read everything by him now, including his second memoir, Dry, which also made me cry.

This is an amazing read, and I can't wait to see what the movie is like!