The Shop on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber

The Shop on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber Reviews

1 review
Ranked #809 out of 893 in Books

July 02, 2009

I have never read any other Debbie Macomber books but this one was recommended to me, and I know she is a bestseller author so I gave it a try (I was only hesitant because it seems like the kind of drugstore paperback that I would normally avoid). It was a nice light read. The best description I can think of would be to say it is the literary equivalent of a Hallmark movie – it’s warm and fuzzy but nothing earth shattering. You laugh, you cry, but you pretty much forget about it once it’s over. It’s not really a page turner, let’s day that but every time you pick it up, you feel like you are returning to old friends.

The book tells the story of Lydia a two time cancer survivor who is struggling with finding her own identity and her place in the world. She has a rocky relationship with her sister, and is looking for love, although she is afraid to let anyone in. She opens a yarn shop (she cultivated a love for knitting during her time spent in hospital beds) and offers a knitting class to generate business. Her class draws a small group of women who become unlikely friends: Alix, a bad girl with a good heart, Jacqueline, an upper class county-clubber with a hate for her newly pregnant daughter-in-law and Carole, a career woman trying to start a family. See what I mean, Hallmark movie?

I’ll let you find out the rest … I wouldn’t say I highly recommend this book, but I wouldn’t say don’t read it either. If you occasionally like fluffy stories about women and relationships, I would read this book – it’s a quick read after all. And I hear there are 2 more in the series…